How do you use crutches?

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

Reply to
Clot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

It's absolutely mental. I distinctly recall my first big bike accident and the crutches that came with it. I was encouraged to hand them back, as they would be checked and re-issued. That was back in the days when such things were normal.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My sympathies to Adam. I had my first taste of Australian health care a year ago when I came off my bike and fractured my pelvis, not seriously fortunately (no op necessary) but was on crutches for six weeks. Fortunately I live in a high-rise with shops at ground floor level, no steps, and a big walk-in shower where I was able to put a plastic chair. And I found out that I had some great friends after just nine months of being in Melbourne.

When you find yourself in this position it does give you a completely new understanding of disabled access issues. There were shops I walked by as soon as I looked at the steps. After a week or two I could use our new low-floor trams, but not the older ones with high steps. Fortunately I live in the city centre with taxi rank across the road - they did quite well out of me for those six weeks.

As for crutches here, no issues with returns. You get billed by the hospital, $40 about UKP23.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

None taken. I got a little light exercice today (the walking sort not the horizontal sort).

I walked from the hospital carpark to the oral surgery unit and then from the oral surgery unit to the x-ray department and back to the oral surgery department before walking back to the car park. All done with just one crutch so I did put some weight on the damaged foot.

I am actually going back to work tommorrow.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Good to hear, but try to be careful!

Reply to
Clot

When I was a contractor in Germany, one of the other expats had a skiing accident. He tried to go back to work too soon, which ended up with the doctors having to break his leg again as it hadn't knitted properly

Reply to
geoff

Are you sure that he had filled his sick form in correctly?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Tying this thread in with the one about the privvy ...

better watch yer bum down under

geoff

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Sick form ?