How do you pay in a cheque by post?

If so, then of course it was returned - there isn't a Barclays in that location any more. There is one - a very big one - in Leicester.

Reply to
Adrian

I still think you'd have been better off using a Post Office. I bet there's one much nearer than the nearest Barclays branch - probably within walking distance of your house.

A few days ago I decided to put my money where my mouth is and try out my local post office for paying a cheque into a Lloyds account which I administer. This is a rural post office in the corner of a shop on a housing estate - not a main High Street jobbie. I was given a special envelope with a space on the front to write the sort code and account number. I inserted the cheque and paying-in slip, sealed it and handed it to the cashier. I was given a printed receipt (for the envelope - nothing about the contents).

I noticed that the envelope said "Personal Accounts Only". I was actually paying the cheque into a Treasurers account for a non-profit-making organisation - which is classed by Lloyds as a business account. Anyway, I thought "What the hell!" and decided to see what would happen. This occurred at about 4pm on whatever day it was, and by lunchtime the next day the cheque had been credited to the account.

I shall certainly use that service in future, 'cos it's much easier than having to drive to a bank and pay for parking.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is. And I use it to send parcels, etc. But still have to queue.

I don't have to queue at the postbox at the end of my road - about 100 yards away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thought I'd try again. This time with 'live chat' via the Barclay's site. Although just how you chat via a keyboard escapes me. ;-)

The address they gave for paying in cheques is:-

Postal Credits RRD

51 Saffron Road Leicester LE87 2BB

But 'they' didn't know what RRD stood for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is if you're calling from abroad, Shirley?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's R.R. Donnelly an outsourced document and call handling company, a couple of miles from me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Barclays and HSBC's cheque processing is outsourced to a company jointly owned by the two banks.

Reply to
Huge

Right. The address I was given by Barclays yesterday was :-

Postal Credits RRD

51 Saffron Road Leicester LE87 2BB

and Googling that address comes up with R.R. Donnelly which is a data processing company.

So mystery solved, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

with

51 Saffron Road Leicester LE87 2BB

Also being the address of Barclaycard.

Let's just hope Google Streetview doesn't reveal it as being the door to a flat over a launderette.

michael adams

michael adams