How do you Dysect a Dyson DC05 - its the cylinder type

Got this plea from a nice neighbour this afternoon, so here I am with her DC05 Absolute. I easily removed the one visible torx screw (needed an extra long T15 torx bit though), but as expected that didn't help me any!! I'm loathe to risk wrecking anything by prising of the wrong plastic bits, anyone done one of these before?

Actually I have a strong suspision its just the mains plug parting company from the cable, as the cable is on a self-wind reel which is unwound against years of friction build-up by catching hold of the plug (molded on of course!) and heaving. There is evidence that the cable has shifted 3-4mm out of the molding so suspect thats the problem. But before cutting it off I want to get at the machine end to test continuity.

Thinks... perhaps I can do that with a needle to pierce the sheathing, but if its ok i'll still need to get inside the beast for further investigation.

Oh yes, the fault is that it worked fine this morning but then wouldn't start.

Ta

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Done that, the cable/plug is ok, so still need to get inside. The next suspect is the microswitch operated by stampig on a plastic lever at ground level, bet that gets quite a bashing. I can hear it clicking so its not totally wrecked.

BTW, I tested the cable/plug continuity with a non-contact mains detector, first sending mains down just the line, then just the neutral, then just the earth - too my surprise the thin cable does indicate earth continuity even though the machine is (presumably) double insulated.

I applied the 240V line voltage to each wire in turn by virtue of plugging it into an extension lead from which I had removed the mains plug and fed in 240V via my "Quicktest" safety connector

Quicktest has vanished from the Cliff Electronic site so if you don't have one grab it while CPC still have them - its already gone from Maplin.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Angle grinder...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No it isn't....

Reply to
Clot

Angle grinder!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about:

John Rumm

wake up at the back!!!

Reply to
Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

Isn't what?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A flippant remark following on from a Monty Python comment on another thread.

Reply to
Clot