How do urinal cisterns work?

Just daft curiosity... can't seem to find any resource on the web or newsgroups that describes the periodic flushing mechanism (there's plenty of info out there regarding w.c's), and being considerably shorter than 7ft 6ins I can't see inside.

Presumably there's a siphon at work, but how is it suddenly triggered by a very slow trickle of water at the inlet? I always thought you needed a reasonable rush of water to get a siphon started.

Incidentally, I know you can get all manner of electronically triggered cisterns - I'm just referring to the mechanical kind.

It's sad, but please put me out of my misery.

Thanks, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Dorrington

The simplest ones have an inverted U shaped tube attached to the flush outlet and an inlet valve which allows the cistern to fill at a trickle. WHen the cistern is full enough, water flows through the tube and creates a siphon. This then quickly empties the cistern.

One addon is a solenoid valve on the inlet operated by a timer or by detecting moving people. This means that the cistern only gets filled when the urinal is likely to be used.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hopefully somebody here is planning to check it out in the pub tonite. Can't wait to get their theories - especially after a few pints !!

Pete (fellow saddie)

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

I vaguely recall this being a requirement now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thats how the one at my place of work, works !!( is that correct ?). And if you live in a hard water area they get furred up constantly.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Quoting you Andy : -

This means that the cistern only gets

First wrong reply IMHO . How many pints consumed ?

More theories awaited !!

Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

Sorry - mis- read your post Andy I am wrong. You are correct Apologies Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

I'd like MUCH more information, please.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is this penis envy again, Mary?

Reply to
Andy Hall

So why doesn't the water just trickle out when it reaches the lower edge of the top of the inverted U? I would expect that it needs a push to get enough water over the top of the U to start the syphon.

Reply to
Eiron

Everybody should envy what I have.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Some cisterns are filled through a valve that allows a small amount of water into cistern each time a normal toilet is flushed or a tap is opened.

The valve has a little chamber that fills with a small quantity of water. When the supply pressure to the valve drops when someone flushes a normal toilet or opens a tap, the water in the chamber is discharged into the cistern. The chamber then refills. The advantage is that the cistern only gradually fills when patrons are turning the taps on and off or flushing the toilet.

Graham

Reply to
graham

The very first cisterns worked on a tilt mechanism.

As the tank filled it would tip. Eventually it would tip so far that the water would start to syphon.

Found this on the net:

graham

Why would they do that? Men don't wash their hands, do they???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The shape of the siphon means that as water trickles over at the start of the flush, air is prevented from re-entering up the flush pipe. The water then running from there down the flush pipe pulls the bubble of air over and down the flush pipe followed by the contents. Remember that these are also mounted high up to assist with the process.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I can't really follow that one :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

You're not going to have the chance :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:41991720$0$2657$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

I wouldn't go there; after a lot of casual bar work, including cleaning bogs for each gender, if your theory is correct the men were not washing their hands, but chucking paper towels in the waste bin thill they overflowed, while the hygeienic females were magically getting washed hands dry magically using hardly any.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Of course they do....

Mind, they wash them FIRST so they don't get their bits dirty!

Reply to
Bob Eager