how do Moving Waterfall Pictures work

Does anyone know ho these cheesey moving waterfall pictures work?

e.g

know that they contain a motor and I remember seeing something similar on lampshades when I was a kid, but never managed to get close up to take one apart ( I think that Boots would have objected)

Thanks!

Bramblestick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick

buy such things?

I have only seen them in ethnic takeaways and restaurants, and mostly back in the 1970s.

Reply to
Bruce

Absolutely agree - I wouldn't part with money for one. Just interested in how they work, so that I can see if I can build one. At least it will be a DIY taste fail - I'm of the Readers Digest Manual and Alternative London school of DIY so taste is compromised anyway :-)

Bramblestick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick

Look up Moire pattern like

Adam Aglionby

Which are (were?) also used for measuring cows. Seriously.

Can't remember the details but something like projecting two sets of fine lines onto a cow - the resulting moire fringes highlighted the shape of a cow.

Reply to
Rod

Excellent! Thanks for that - I'll have some fun playing around (already demonstrated it to myself using a folded piece of silk...), and hopefully the results won't be totally tasteless.

Bramblestick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick