How do I seal flaking emulsion on ceiling?

Hi all,

A very basic DIY query!

We have patches of old emulsion paint peeling from a ceiling which I now need to redecorate.

How can I best 'seal' the flakes, after scarping off the loose stuff, before overpainting?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

Paint it all with wallpaper paste. Then, get some lining paper, paste that too, let it "soak" for 20 minutes, and put it up, brushing out any bubbles, and butting the edges *just* up together. When it's dry, paint the lot for a lovely blemish-free ceiling.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

is it emulsion ? if it is I can't see why it would be flaking. if it's dry and chalky then it's not emulsion, it's distemper and the only way to ensure adhesion of anything, paint or paper, is to spray it with water to losen it up and scrape it all off.

RT

Reply to
[news]

Grease.

Poor quality paint.

Ceiling excessively polished during plastering.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks guys...

It could be a thin layer of emulsion over distemper as it's an old house (c`1840) and, thinking about it I most quickly likely it painted over when we stripped the place out 14 years ago. In those days I used cheap paint - a false economy as I know now!.

regards,

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

Oh, messy. A cheap flat pan scourer (not too abrasive), with warm water and a bit of sugar soap (or washing-up liquid). In a day or two you will have a nice clean ceiling. Anyone know a better way to wash off distemper?

Reply to
Chris Bacon