How do I saw my MDF Bath panel plinth lengthways neatly?

I'm about to fit a bath panel and plinth which are made of MDF. (Can't change for any other type as I bought it a long time ago). The plinth has to be trimmed slightly (length ways at a slight angle ) to fit correctly. What's the neatest way to do this. I've got a handsaw and a cheapo jigsaw. It needs to be quite neat as I won't be able to put sealant where it touches the vinyl flooring because the valves for switching off the bath tabs are at floor level immediately behind where the plinth will go, so the plinth needs to be removable.

Am I better to mark it and try and take it somewhere to get it cut ?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Buy a cheap circular saw rather than taking it somewhere. The circular saw can give the desired angle you need and then all you have to do is clamp a straight edge on the panel to guide the saw through. You can of course use the same tecnique using the jigsaw but if its a cheapo chances are it wont give a clean cut. Dont know what Jiggy you have? but the one I've got has a screw on the shoe to angle the cut.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hand plane is good. Saw first, plane to line later. Wear a mask. MDF dust is very unpleasant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, i should have explained better, when I said a slight angle I meant the bath is at a very slight angle tipping to the plug hole so the cut is not parallel to the edge of the plinth.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Sound then, a straight edge(piece of wood)clamped near to the line of cut and hand saw using the straight edge as a guide for the saw.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Depends how much you're taking off. If it's over say 5mm, just use a handsaw. If it's a tapering down to nothing kind of a cut, the circular saw/batten method would be best

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't have your original post here, but you can seal the joint. All you have to do is ensure the vinyl has a good coat of oil over where the joint is to be made. After the sealant has gone off, remove the panel and clean off the oil.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave