How do I remove this glass

Hope this link works

I cracked/broke the glass in this dial gauge. I'm trying to source a replacement but in the mean time can't work out how to remove the broken glass. (es I know its not actually glass)

There is a black annular ring on the periphery of the dial and this appears to have two breaks in it. (See high lighted area)

The outside chrome bezel rotates and the face rotates with it as will be familiar to anyone who has used one of these.

The two black telltales can be moved independently and do not affect the position of the two breaks in the underlying black ring.

Short of doing damage I can see no way of releasing this ring to allow me remove the broken glass.

Perhaps a jeweler could help.

Any suggestions ?

Reply to
fred

This maybe of some help....

ss

Sort fo works but I only get to see tiny thumbnails.

Two breaks (gaps?) seems a bit odd, one in a spring steel ring that pings into the recess I could understand. Something small and pointy to get under one end of the ring and gently prise it towards the center the ease out of the slot.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Clicking on the thumbnails gives me larger pictures

My thoughts exactly. The image of the gap looks just like the end of a ring of that type. Perhaps the ring is broken too?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Well the link produces a page with little finger nails, 75 x 50 px for the complete dial guage, clicking on the dial guage finger nail produces a slighly larger 240 x 160 version.

That thought crossed my mind a as well but I've normally found if that happens one or both bits of the ring just fall out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't know about tyhe image sizes. Worked ok on various computers I have access to.

Anyway I think there may be two annular rings. One to hold in the glass and the second with the tell tales clipped to it.

I'll have a go at it again. Think I'll work with it inside a plastic bag for as sure as ***** once I un-spring it, it will fly off into a parallel universe never to be found.

Reply to
fred

Well Dave's suggestion of something small and pointy did the trick (Thank y ou Dave). I had been trying a small jewellers screwdriver but a steel pick worked fine.

Transpires there were two annular rings. One for each of the tell tales whi ch makes sense when you think about it as they move independently. That's t he reason there appeared to be two breaks. Got the glass off. Removed the small chip of plastic which was fouling the movement of the indicator and apart from the hole in the glass its all work ing fine. Its a specific type of dial indicator (From Oneway Tools of Calif ornia) and with a replecement costing $39.90 plus postage I wan't ecstatic about having to replace it.

Thanks to all for your help

Reply to
fred