How do I remove gloss paint from my stone dooryway?

Hi

My yorkshire-stone, terraced house has a wooden front door with a stone 'pillar' on each side of the door and a stone slab above the door to prevent rain falling on the house owner when he is trying to lock/open the front door.

The previous owner has painted both stone 'pillars' with a gloss paint to match the colour of the gutters. In places the paint has peeled off, in other places a little bit of crumbly stone has burst through the paint.

I would like to remove this paint as I dont think it is good for the stone. Can I use a blow torch or should I wait for it to fall off naturally? The bottom foot of paint has fallen off but the rest looks pretty well stuck on 8(

Reply to
none

| Hi | | My yorkshire-stone, terraced house has a wooden front door with a stone | 'pillar' on each side of the door and a stone slab above the door to | prevent rain falling on the house owner when he is trying to lock/open | the front door. | | The previous owner has painted both stone 'pillars' with a gloss paint | to match the colour of the gutters. In places the paint has peeled off, | in other places a little bit of crumbly stone has burst through the paint. | | I would like to remove this paint as I dont think it is good for the | stone. Can I use a blow torch or should I wait for it to fall off | naturally? The bottom foot of paint has fallen off but the rest looks | pretty well stuck on 8(

Painting the dressed Yorkshire stone bits round doors and windows is traditional in Yorkshire West Riding. I can show you doors which have been painted for 200 years. Are the other houses doors painted? If so why not take a wire brush to it and then repaint. Black and White are traditional colours.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Gloss should lift easily off stone with a blowtorch but I'd avoid the gas type which can "bake" things on and make them more difficult to remove. Can you still get paraffin blowtorches other than in antique shops?

Reply to
Stuart Noble