how do I put up a towel rail?

Im 5 months pregnant and have been given a towel rail, but I dont want to have to get a plumber since Ive done all the other DIY in the house. Is there a step by step guide somewhere on how to do it and what I'll need to buy? I'd be really grateful if anyone can help with this one! Thanks!

Reply to
lucy chambers

Don't in about 18 months time, it will be down again. Thats 4 months till your birth, and 14 months till the new kid swings on it.

More seriously, you will need to drill holes in the right place, insert wall plugs, and screw the thing up. What type of wall/finish you have effectes the wall plugs you need.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Probably need a bit more detail. Is it an electric one or a "radiator" one or a combination of both?

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

I'm trying to think how the two are related...?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You precisely echo my thoughts. Perhaps this is only the latest thing she's been given in the bathroom? Oops, possibly a poor choice of words...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I guess by your reference to a plumber this is one that has hot water flowing through it to heat/dry the towels. The rail itself will have to be fixed to the wall to be honest if you need to ask how to do this you will not have the skill to tackle this. Do you currently have a radiator in the bathroom you can use the "tails"[1]of this to connect the "towel rail" to a Central heating system. After all a towel rail is really a glorified radiator that you can put towels over. Once you decide which surface you are fixing through maybe a google for fixing to this surface, then a google for connecting a radiator to the "tails"[1]

[1] I realise tails is an electricity meter term but I do not know the proper name for the inlet and outlet pipes to a radiator -- This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .
Reply to
soup

Be very careful if you are replacing an ordinary radiator with a water-filled towel rail. Towel rails are ok for warming towels - but pretty useless for heating the room because their heat output is much lower than that of an equivalent sized radiator.

As others have said, you need to fix it to the wall - using the supplied brackets plus screws/plugs appropriate to the wall construction. [In other words, fixing it to a plasterboard stud partition is different from fixing it to a solid brick wall]. Then you need to connect it to the central heating flow and return pipes, using suitable radiator valves and plumbing fittings - having first drained enough of the system to prevent a flood.

Since you are pregnant, shouldn't there be a male around somewhere, to whom you can delegate some or all of this?

Reply to
Set Square

Now I just love this reply:

Since you are pregnant, shouldn't there be a male around somewhere, to whom you can delegate some or all of this?--

She's pregnant, not stupid!

Reply to
bob

This is a DIY forum, maybe she did that herself too?

:-)

(ooh my singular wit!)

Reply to
Dark Angel

Yes but 5 months pregnant. A towel rad is quite heavy aswell as fixing it to the wall. Personally i would'nt like my missus doing something like this. Not because she would be pregnant but she'll probally break the thing. lol

But is there not someone who can give you a hand with all the heavy stuff?

Reply to
htmark98

Perhaps "If this is an awkward bugger of a job let me know as I'm 5 months pregnant."?

Reply to
Suz

Were you thinking of immaculate conception, or DIY AI?

Reply to
Set Square

If screws and plugs are supplied, throw them away immediately and buy some decent ones. Why do manufacturers supply crap screws & plugs?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Because they're cheap.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

By saying a "towel rail" was a glorified radiator I basically meant in the method of connecting to the CH. Some are virtually equivalent in heat output to a radiator, especially if the radiator was a cheap or contract one. If interested in just how "hot" a towel rail can be a quick Google will give you some comparisons

Reply to
soup

basically how to install a new radiator, talk of brackets instead of fixing the rail directly to the wall makes me think this guide can not be followed slavishly but it will start you thinking.

Reply to
soup

And presumably even more useless for heating a room when covered with towels drying .??

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Has anyone noticed how often in this newsgroup someone (usually a newbie) posts a pleas for help, but it lacks some crucial bit of info as in this case - (ie are we talking about an electric or plumbed-in towel rail); whereupon lots of people duly post back with lots of 'what-if' advice and requests for elucidation.... but the OP never ever comes back to answer the queries! So presumably these OPs don't ever return at all after posting their question??

David

Reply to
Lobster

Maybe they're waiting for emails that never come ...

Reply to
Rob Morley