how do I prove which electricity company I'm with?

For a while now, I've had two companies both billing me, for both gas and electricity. I was told that Transco would tell me which gas company I was *definitely* with, but is there a similar organisation I can go to in order to prove which electicity comany is supplying me?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
jb158cooper

You need to speak with your local *disribution* company and ask for their MPAS department.

See

electricity companies (RECs) when they were privatised were typically split into the "supply" business and the "distribution" business. So while you may have switched to a new "supplier", the company that physically distributes the electricity to you will remain the local REC. They are the guys that own the meters etc, so they should be able to initiate the right dispute procedures to get your billing sorted.

Are you certain that you aren't being billed for two separate meters (or meter points?). Some properties which were flats etc may have had multiple meters, and whilst strictly speaking one address should have one supplier, sometimes they do get confused.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Also check the meter numbers on the bills. They might not all match your meter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Good start, but effectively the electricity companies split into THREE

- the network operators, the billing side ("supplier"), and metering.

If you're not supplied by the host REC, the supplier has to nominate who they want the meter operator to be, who may or may not be the metering arm of the local REC.

MPAS is the way to go though - and it might also be worth keeping good notes now about when and who you spoke to, as the rules have now changed so the suppliers can only claim back up to 12 months elec' usage if the customer can prove they've been trying to sort the lack of a bill out :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Are you saying that you're paying *twice* for your energy? If so, just pay one of the firms and see what happens when the other one comes around to "cut you off".

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine