How do i protect the paint on my wall?

I have a wall by the back door which is always getting dirty (kids, dog, cat, etc). I have tried kitchen/bathroom paint which works for a short while but constant washing/wiping is damaging the paint.

I have been told to either use PVA or varnish. Will this work?

Is so which products should I use - I have seen PVA BOND is that the same as PVA glue and will they dry clear?

Sorry - theres quite a few questions in there.

DW

Reply to
DW

In my experience no matter what you use it will still ge dirty and need cleaning :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't use PVA - it won't dry clear, and will look very odd. PVA is great, but not as a finish.

I recently tiled our ensuite. I wanted to protect the grout, and after asking for opinions here I tried out Lithofin Stainstop. This is a product meant for using on stone. It worked really well on grout. The treated grout is just totally non-absorbent.

I've since experimented with it on various surfaces, and I think it may be just what you're looking for. You'll end up with a wall that looks much the same, but will wipe clean. You will probably need to re-apply every few months.

Reply to
Grunff

Do you mix it with the grout before application, like if you were adding pva to a cement or plaster mix? Or is it wiped on after the grout is applied? Surely this would mark the tiles?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I brushed it onto the gout after it had fully dried. I then wiped off the stuff I'd got on the tiles (very easy, no marking). I can't believe how good the result is. The treated grout is strongly hydrophobic. Water just beads on it, but doesn't wet it. And it looks *exactly* the same as the untreated grout elsewhere in the shower room. Big fan.

Reply to
Grunff

Nowithstanding the dubious use of PVA to treat a medical condition, surely it should be applied wet?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

C'mon - you are the *last* person I'd expect to comment on spelling mistakes! ;-)

I didn't use PVA, I used Lithofin Stainstop. This is a siloxane based waterproofer, which comes dissolved in an organic solvent. So you wouldn't want to apply it wet.

Some pics + writeup here:

Reply to
Grunff

LOL! Is it licensed?

Mary>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What spelling mistake? He was concerned about your health and well-being - as are we all :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

:-)

Reply to
Grunff

You could try using acrylic paint, rather than vinyl. Sometimes sold as "low odour/quick drying eggshell". You could even try that "Realife" paint they're pushing at the moment.

Myself, I just keep a tin of every paint I use. I go round every six months and touch up any dirty patches.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Every six months! Heavens. We don't paint more than once every two decades. And then only if it needs it. And there's nothing more exciting to do ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

well-being -

Haha, I just spent the last minute sitting here feeling like a complete idiot, thinking that I had spelt cement or plaster wrongly. I actually started to come out in a hot sweat wondering how stupid I could be, before realising it was the 'gout' reference (I suppose that confirms my stupidity!)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It was a spelling mistake?

Oh calamity - that confirms everyone else's stupidity!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:30:47 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Alex" strung together this:

I suppose another pointer would have been that the reply by TNP was in reply to Grunff, not actually in reply to your posting.

Reply to
Lurch

A solvent based coating will give better results. Johnstones Paints and others do a paint based on pliolite resin, which is a kind of rubber.

Reply to
stuart noble

We've never kept a room for longer than 3 years without a complete repainting job. There's nothing like a change in scenery now and again.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's true, but when we do paint it's always white again :-)

And we don't spend much time in our rooms anyway, except the dining room and then we're looking at each other. And I spend a lot of time in the bath, there I watch the sky through the large window and the sculpture which is fastened to the ceiling over the bath.

Boring or what? !

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sounds nice. If you trust the fixings for the sculpture...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I do. Spouse fixed it.