how do I plug this gap in the front wall of my house?

It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2" diameter. I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help gratefully received. |P

these links can be opened in a picture viewer. They are 1.5Mb. I'm sorry I don't know any other way to get the pictures viewed.

wall 001.jpg is

002.jpg is

ben doon

then fill with mortar.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Since it's in the front of the house I'd probably remove the rest of the exterior brick and make good with a whole brick (one that you saved when the house was built). Failing that you can hawk a removed fragment around looking for a good enough match.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Fill the back end of the hole with expanding foam. Then cut a piece of matching brick and mortar it in.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

if you dont make the mortar or gobbo too sloppy it will not go down the cavity and you should be able to achieve a good finnish, it's only a small hole and it aint worth removing the brick as this could reult in damage to the surrounding bricks.

ps the s62 in that link, does it refer to your postcode as mine also starts with s62, if it does then i will pop round and sort it for you

Reply to
Gav

ben doon presented the following explanation :

The best way is to obtain a matching brick, completely remove the damaged one and cement the new one in its place.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Push a bit of stiff muck into it, your main issue is colour matching. Add some ash or coal dust and scrape off or colour that white. You don't need any strength, just something to block it is enough, take care not to smear muck on the faces, though.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's upstairs. Nobody will notice a repair.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth