How do I open .rar files ? (Windows XP)

Downloaded one of these but can't find anything that opens it.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

7-zip

polygonum

Winrar.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Then swear at whichever idiot decided to use a closed format to compress their data.

Reply to
Clive George

As Tim has already said, Winrar is what you want. Just for general interest though, there's a good website that tells you what you need if you tell it what the file extension is:

Steve

Thanks, everyone. I've now discovered fyzip. It's clunky, but it works

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

So why give winrar houseroom?

Reply to
polygonum

So you can open the latest, password protected, encrypted version of the .rar archives. There's a 40 day free trial available which will do that, as will unrar, and once you've uncompressed the archive, you can bin winrar util next time you need it.

Otherwise, as has been said, try 7zip first.

Reply to
John Williamson

Ah! Right. I've not had one that won't open in 7-zip - but my needs are modest.

Reply to
polygonum

?
Reply to
Clive George

uuencode, anyone?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Didn't need it with Kermit...but a different problem domain.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If the contents of the .rar file is video then VLC Media Player will usually play it without your first having to extract it with 7-zip.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

definitely

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , brass monkey escribió:

Heh, had to use xmodem today to get a working config into a b0rked cisco router. Memories of BBC micro days, Commstar and dial-up bulletin boards.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Winzip works for me (full, paid for, licensed version).

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Winrar is OK there are free versions of it and they work well. Its been around since the dos days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff