How do I go through....Part P electrical reg

Currently building a large extesion - I want to do the electrics myself

this is well into building regs - whos even prewarned me he wants certificate!

The moneys not the issue - I just want to do it myself (least I'll kno its done correctly), I dont want some Politician with his head stuck u is &R${ dictating to me. - if you can understand what I mean!.

Assuming I'm a very compentant person (highest elctrical qualificatio ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering) So what do I need (bar minimum) to do this legally?

Exams? Courses? Test equipment?

Regards

Camero

-- Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

You're clock is way out?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not a good start then ;-)

You are clock is way out?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Invalid XHTML....no closing tag!

Reply to
Bob Eager

From what I've gleaned by reading up over the last few months on this subject (so others with actual experience of the process may add/correct):

None of the above, legally. You need to submit a BNA for the electrical work as it is presumably all notifiable, but since you're building an extension, you have already done a BNA or full plans? You could have included the electrical work on that I think? Ask your BCO if is would be possible for you to amend the original application, otherwise submit a BNA.

The test equipment is a good idea for checking as you go, but not totally necessary as it will get tested at completion.

A read of one of the guides to the IEE wiring regs, either John Whitfield's Electrican's Guide or the On Site Guide will help clarify any areas you may have missed and a copy of the latest IEE Wiring Regs, to which both refer.

From my understanding, most Part P work is signed off on the strength of zero or more in-progress (or first fix) inspections then a person the BCO deems competent conducts a periodic inspection (PIR) at the end. In theory you are not obliged to pay extra for this, the BNA fee covers it, though some LBAs are trying to insist you do pay.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Cameron writes

You don't need anything.

The work is covered by Building regs approval in the same way as any other relevant work on the extension.

check with them at what stages they want the work checked. From reports here, some have wanted the first fix checked some were happy with a final inspection.

Note it seems a number of Building Control depts are telling people that they need to pay extra to get it inspected by an electrician. This really isn't the case, and they have been told so specifically by the ODPM (a url for the info has been posted here a few times).

It should be covered by the fee you pay to BC, and AIUI it is their responsibility not yours to organises the inspection.

Reply to
chris French

I'd love to know whether anyone has successfully challenged the extra fee, no doubt endearing themselves greatly to their local building control dept - I anticipate having to try it on myself one of these days....

David

Reply to
Lobster

With any luck, the BCOs themselves have nothing to do with the handling of fees anyway - that will fall to some accounts person. So you can probably give them an earful when you get the invoice and not worry too much about antagonising the BCO... but then again, who knows ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Looking Good!!

So let me see if I've got this straight....

I can notify the building inspector that I am a competant person an intend to do the electrics myself (I guess sensibly after the roof an windows inspection)

I baffle him by supplying drawings, and various test readings....

He will inspect or arrange to have it inspected the work.

But there may be an arguement about costs!

Sounds perfect! - assuming I've read it correctly.

Thankyou all, ever so much, it is most appreciated.

Cameron

Oh yes whats this waffle about time/clock being out

-- Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

I've just been through exactly this process. Large extension. I did all the wiring under building notice. It wasn't on the opriginal application, but I just informed the BCO I'd be doing the wiring myself and he arranged a (single) visit at first fix. I did all the testing myself (cost about GBP70 inc VAT to hire the tester for a week) because I was more comfortable doing that and finding any problems myself than someone else finding my mistakes. As it happens there weren't any! I also wanted to learn how to do the testing and inspection for my own interest. Not particularly difficult, but a bit of reading required - as Tim suggested get a good book. And hope the tester instuction manual is well written!

Lots of paperwork to fill in (test resutls and inspection checklist) which are downloadable from the IEE website.

I will submit my results shortly and then hopefully we can have our final inspection - hurrrahh!

Regards, Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

If you take care this is the norm. A fault would most likely be caused by damaged wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are clock is way out?

His clock may be out, but at least he has a grasp of basic grammar.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Look at the posts you've already made to this thread, and check the time they were apparently made: eg the above one was at 8:35 am - don't think so! It tends to bugger up some folks' newsreaders, so they get tetchy...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Who said I had finished being pedantic? ;-)

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

It seems Cameron is posting via diybanter, so the clock setting is presumably nothing to do with him.

Reply to
chris French

[1] Set the clock on your PC [2] "Thank you" is two words
Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Shouldn't it be "Thank you" are two words? :-)

Reply to
usenet

No "Thank You" is a phrase and this phrase IS two words, although "Thank" and "You" ARE two words.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

"Thank You" is a two word phrase, yes, but "Thank you" is two words, hmm, maybe or maybe not.

You wouldn't say "my son and daughter is two children" would you?

Reply to
usenet

Does 'anal retentive' have a hyphen?

Dave