How do I get pointing a yellow colour like the bricks

I'm building a retaining wall in my garden using some old yellow stock bricks. I'd like to have the pointing a yellowish colour but I'm not sure how to get this.

I have put some air vents in at the back of my house and the pointing has turned a very nice golden yellow colour. However I've also put in some air bricks and the pointing has stayed grey.

On both occasions I think I've used Wickes building sand(which looks quite yellow) and their Portland cement. I'm not sure why the colour has turned out different. I may have used plasticiser when fitting the air vent, could this have made the difference?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Building sand and white cement comes out a nice yellow, although it depends how strong a pigment the sand forms, and this varies (seems to be a feature which depends on the amount of find sand dust in the sand).

You can get mortar dies from builder's merchants. I've only used black, and I suspect colours like yellow would only work with white cement.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Some Wickes do black and beige cement dye. But in my limited experience you have to try with your own cement brand and it dries to a different colour altogether as the cement cures so initial appearance is not a good guide. Then outdoors it weathers to a paler colour over the course of a year or so.

In some sensitive parts of the country the councill planning dept will specify what type of sand to use.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

White cement is a good start, and the yellowest sand you can find.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for your suggestions. Any idea if any of the big diy sheds (wickes,b&q, homebase, travis perkins etc) sell white cement or where I might find it?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Thanks for your suggestions. Any idea if any of the big diy sheds (wickes,b&q, homebase, travis perkins etc) sell white cement or where I might find it?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Most BM's stock it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My local B&Q warehouse certainly stocks it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yellow or ceam mortar is usually lime and sand. Get a bag of lime and mix it to a gloopy paste, store it in airtight container for 3 weeks, and mix 3:1 with sand to use.

Lime lasts longer, has a cream-white-pink-yellow color, depending on the sand used with it, and is self healing. When cracked it regrows hard crystals across the gap to self heal.

The downside with lime is it takes ages to set. Put sheeting over it to keep hard rain off until set.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Any use -

holkingers

how old ar the bricks? If theyre old soft bricks, your wall will last much better if you use lime mortar.

Whatever you do, I'd avoid cement dyes, as the colour often washes out after a while, usually very unevenely.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Cement colours are not true dyes. They are pigments, which behave no differently from sand, or any other solid material, once the mortar has set. I think oxides also act as a pozzolan in lime, with the darker colours having a more pronounced effect. Gold ochre would probably be a better bet. Less chemical reaction if you're using lime, and a more appropriate colour for old brickwork. Search for Kremer Pigments.

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4983 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Maybe there are different types then, as colour loss is a real world problem, common with coloured cement products.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

In my experience "Castle" cement is lighter, and the sand coluor tends to remain more.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

B&Q, its about twice the price of normal stuff.

Reply to
Rick

I got a bag in Travis Perkins for =A311.70 which is a bit steep but one bag should do. I've tried a little with the wickes sand and it looks good.Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
jgkgolf