How do I find a good and efficient tradesman?

I have a lot of hedging and would like it kept trimmed as sharp as my hairdresser does hair. I am having enormous difficulty, I have had peeps come, give me an estimate, promise to return at a later date and fail to turn up. My wife suspects that the hedges are too extensive for them. then I have people come to trim them and they make an awful mes and or leave half the cuttings lying around. Used to do the job myself, and made a reasonable job, but father time has decreed that I can no longer cope. So how do I get a good person?

Reply to
Broadback

Personal recommendation. If you don't know someone who gets similar work done, then walk around your area looking for a house with lots of neaty cut hedging, and knock on the door and ask who does it. Eventually you will find someone who contracts it out.

If you said which town you are in, you might even get a recommendation on here.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Personal recommendation is the best way.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

How frequently are you wanting it trimming?

Reply to
Adrian

Biannual, I live in the country in North Staffordshire, South of Stoke on Trent.

Reply to
Broadback

That ain't going to keep it as sharp as you say you want. In peak growing season, damn near weekly might be more realistic...

No wonder people are listening to your requirements and expectations and doing a runner.

Reply to
Adrian

If you sign up to:

Then ask for recommendations.

Streetlife is a national organisation but is local to you, as defined by you. i.e.., you say the areas/villages etc., that you're interested in.

Chats can be about anything, recommendations, lost cats, curtain alterations.....

mark

Reply to
mark

I have never said that I want it always pristine, just s good cut twice a year and tidy it all away. Not too much to ask I would have thought!

Reply to
Broadback

My bad. I read "would like it kept trimmed as sharp as my hairdresser does hair" as implying it being maintained sharply trimmed.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry sloppy writing and poor language perception. :-(

Reply to
Broadback

100% agree on that
Reply to
rick

I have a guy here in London. £19 per hour. Completely run off his feet and can't cope with his workload. How much are you offering in Staffs?

Reply to
GB