How do I deter spiders?

The most effective thing I can think of, is if you ever see a clutch (or whatever the collective noun is) of spider eggs in the house, don't ignore it, get rid of it. We used to be fairly relaxed about seeing spiders in the house, but found that you just end up with cobwebs and spider eggs all over the place. Make a point of throwing each spider you see outside (I expect they'd die of starvation/dehydration in the house anyway, so you're probably doing them a favour), and get rid of any eggs you see.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Sort of. He found "Fudge" a bit too familiar and now prefers the more formal "Mr"

HTH

Reply to
Richard

No, it is my name and I've heard them all.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I've been Mr Pounder here for many more years than you have been Richard here, Dick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1.

Although I would just pick it up with my hands and take it outside there are other alternatives to remove it alive that do not involve touching it.

Reply to
ARW

Does if you bash them with the conker.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

However, some of these cellar spiders prey on other spiders. So they may be helping the insects by removing natural predators. I once saw one which had captured a spider so the UK variants can do this.

Oh, and some of them are incredibly tiny (young?) - having inadvertently painted a couple into a wall last week. Too small to show in the paint.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

That's added extra insulation ;-)

Reply to
Bod

Those house spiders eat the other stuff that eats your house. I leave them to it.

House spiders are quite aware. And, clever too. A test report on a tv program, years back, said; given a maze of three pipes, one of which ends across the room in the glass dome, of some poor creature, showed that, the spider picked the right pipe every time.

Reply to
RayL12

Well accoring to this website lemon stops plastic spiders entering the house, there's a video to prove it too ;-0

whisky-dave