How do i check the effectiveness of a new doubkle glazed installation

How do i check the effectiveness of a new double glazed installation.

I have had old aluminium units taken out and new UPVC units fitted.

But the house feels colder this winter, even as its milder.

Reply to
luke58

Do you mean you want to check the heat loss through just that one window? This is quite tricky to do, and not really worthwhile.

The most significant source of heatloss when it comes to windows is draughts. Is your new window draughty? Can you feel any draught with your hand, especially when it is windy outside?

Reply to
Grunff

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:53:57 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named luke58 randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

What is the quality of the windows and their installation like? Are there seals all the way around the glass, or are there gaps in the corners? Do the opening windows close fully against the draught seals? Are there cracks where the plaster meets the frame, or has it been caulked? Externally, are there any gaps around the frame?

Do your new windows have trickle-vents where your old ones didn't?

If your old ali windows were more than a few[1] years old, they will not have had a thermal break, so much heat will have been lost through the frame. I cant see that a properly constructed and installed uPVC frame could lose more heat.

Do you have central heating? If so, unless you've raised the thermostats from last year, you won't be any warmer, you'll just use less energy to maintain that temperature. Might it be your perceptions? You could have been seduced by the sales talk that your house would be much 'warmer' than before.

[1] 'A few' being a number, the value of which is unknown to me.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula