How can I sense hot water flow?

Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the f amily because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, ye s - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

So, I can do electronics and micro-processors and I thought there is a solu tion there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a bleep er is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap has been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sensor to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start fals ely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there some thing inexpensive that will do that ?

Thanks for any ideas. Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I THINK that a plastic pipe with a couple of electrodes inside and a permanent magnet will detect flow

the water becomes a basic generators

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

w and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

lution there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a ble eper is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap ha s been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sens or to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start fa lsely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there so mething inexpensive that will do that ?

a flow switch?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are loads of cheap flow switches about, just a couple of examples.

Big Clive did a tear down of one similar to one of these if you want to search YouTube for it.

Reply to
Lee

Motorised tap? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think such a low flow might be a bit of a challenge for most of the ones I've seen.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

get a concussive tap and adjust the shut off to a reasonable period

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it's a stainless steel sink, remove the damping material from the bottom of the sink. Then you'll be able to hear the water hitting it? :)

Reply to
GB

Brian Gaff formulated the question :

A plastic paddle or propellor in the pipe, with a magnet moulded into the paddle and an Hall Effect sensor on the outside casing. You can buy them for pennies on Ebay. They work with very little flow volume.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd noticed how cheap they were, was going to suggest them for the central heating status panel whoever suggested that a few weeks ago, rather than relying on the electrical head of 2 or 3 port valves, actually sense the flow to know if the valve has operated ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

Use an electrically operated water valve fitted under the sink and a push button. Press and hold for continuous stream, press 2 times to run until temperature warm enough, press 3 times for pre-measured amount to fill washing up bowl.

Actually, we need to do something like that for someone who is always leaving the gas rings burning away after cooking has been done.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Andy Burns formulated the question :

That was me - Installed and working fine, but needs a bit of interpretation to understand it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

w and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

lution there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a ble eper is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap ha s been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sens or to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start fa lsely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there so mething inexpensive that will do that ?

Many thanks for all your replies, guys - as always helpful. And yes these sensors are cheap enough so I'll get one to play with though how I rig up a test bed that doesn't flood out the workbench is an interesting thought.

The problem is low head due to single storey cottage, a longish run and usi ng a mixer tap that is clearly designed for a high pressure system. The fl ow is therefore sluggish and silent.

Yes. I know there are a number of proper solutions to the problem, but they are a bit long term at the moment and not realistic in the winter, and thi s looks like a nice little project for the winter nights.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

A lateral suggestion while you acquire tuits to play with flow sensor, would sticking an aerator spout on the tap make it noisy enough to notice it had been left on?

Reply to
Andy Burns

How about a shower pump in the circuit? Gives you decent flow, and it's noisy enough to notice.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Perhaps the best solution might be to change the tap for one more suited to low pressure.

That way you get a decent flow and reduce the chance of leaving it on.

Seems like you're trying to bodge a solution rather than fix the problem. :)

Reply to
0345.86.86.888