how can I calculate the weight of double glazed unit?

I'm having some wooden doors made, and it's important that I keep the overall weight to below 60kg (maximum load for the sliding track system that will support the doors).

The doors open into the garden, and in order to comply with UK building regs, I anticipate using a sealed, gas-filled unit with K glass, and a

24mm gap. The dimension of the unit will be approx 73 x 163 cm.

The wood weight I can work out, thanks to a bit of calculation and a handy web site giving densities of different woods.

Is there a similar site that might help me with the glass unit?

Many thanks

Chris

Reply to
reellifetv

Glass has a density of about 2.4g/cc.

Say 6mm glass, 2 panes, for a total of 12mm, and an area of 1.3 square meters, that's about 16l of glass, or some 40Kg.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

A google for glass +weight gets this as the first hit:

's plate glass but it's a start, I expect your panel will be 2x4mm toughened, weight of the spacers probably negligible.

Reply to
fred

What was the website for timber densities?

Reply to
nthng2snet

This general guide is pretty accurate:-

2.5kg per square metre per 1mm thickness.

So 1 square metre of 4mm = 1 x 2.5 x 4 = 10kg (6mm = 15kg)

Double the number for a sealed unit. As a previous poster has said, the weight of spacer bars, dessicant, and packers is insignificant.

Reply to
Ziggur

Fill 'em with helium and they won't weigh so much..

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

In article , snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net writes

I didn't write that . . .

Reply to
fred

However, the thermal conductivity will go up lots, vastly worse than air.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try these:

reellifetv

Thanks for your help - I've now done the calculations. The only question now is, which hard wood to use for a set of French Windows (facing into sheltered garden, in London)

Kind regards,

Chris

Reply to
reellifetv