How best to set up a simple cctv syste?

I want to set up a simple cctv system so that I can see when somebody walks into the yard.

My workshop is around the back and I'm fed up keeping nipping out to check if there is somebody out in the yard. I don't want to put a bell there, so I've decided a cctv (sort of) setup may fit the bill.

I have a PC in the workshop (windows XP) and so I thought a webcam might be the thing to use? I don't need to store the video or images. I don't need PIR. This isn't for security purposes so no need to be too fancy - I just need to be able to see folk out in the yard.

What I would like is a camera connected to the PC and constantly display a video of what's going on out in the yard.

Is there a simple and (cheap as possible) setup to do this?

All suggestions and advice much appreciated.

Neil

Reply to
neil

into the yard.

Could you put a beam break sensor across the entrance so it rings a bell when interrupted, this way you will know as soon as someone walks in?

Reply to
Toby

In message , neil writes

There are plenty of relatively cheap IP cameras out there, so that shouldn't be a problem. Axis P1344 are rather nice and can be powered down the CAT5 cabling.

There are cheaper ones too.

BUT how are you going to use the PC if it's being used to display the camera?

Reply to
Bill

into the yard.

I _think_ the OP said that he doesn't want a bell.

Beam break devices are subject to false operation due to cats, birds etc.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What distance would it be between the PC and the nearest sensible camera location? If quite short, a simple USB webcam might suffice.

Reply to
polygonum

cheap CCTV camera, analogue video output into the scart input of an old telly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That would be my choice having a PC *and* monitor on seems a bit wasteful on power and ties up the PC...

Free telly from Freecycle or cheap from the modern day Pawn shop Cash Convertors or similar? Or if your local HWRC is friendly...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He did but I read it to mean locking/closing the yard gate/entrance and having a bell push rather than no presence detection at all. Unless he watches the monitor *all* the time some one could still sneak in.

Single beam probably, dual beam less so. Siting is important as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , polygonum writes

I think the distance this will work over depends on the usb chipset. I use an in the end of a gooseneck usb camera with one usb extension lead (2 metres?), which works the length of my Disco to see the towbar, and I've successfully tried it with 2 of the extenders, which brought it to over the spec for usb. On the other hand my HP printer is unreliable with any extension leads even after 2 software upgrades said to be to solve the problem. You can get usb repeaters, and I think most can be powered off the usb's

5volts..

My experiences with wireless IP cameras both transmitted and via the mains have not been good, but maybe that's why my son gave them to me. I think he still uses ethernet over mains for his cameras..

Reply to
Bill

You could get a bullet camera quite cheaply and feed it into an old telly via the scart or (yellow) phone socket. There's loads of old tellys about at the moment.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I use a Logitech C270 (about £15) and guvcview (Linux) to display the stream in a window in the corner of the PC screen. I instantly see any movement (even birds).

Reply to
Bob Martin

Reply to
neil

In message , neil writes

Using an IP camera, would I need additional software on the PC? And if the camera is being used, won't the PC still be able to run applications?

Reply to
neil

What distance would it be between the PC and the nearest sensible camera location? If quite short, a simple USB webcam might suffice.

Reply to
neil

In message , neil writes

Yes, but in it's simplest form software is freely available from the manufacturers. The PC would continue to run your other applications at the same time.

I only mentioned IP cameras because you said that you wanted to use your PC as the monitor, other wise, as others have said, I would use a separate monitor. That was why I questioned how you would use your PC at the same time, not because it would stop you using other app's, but because of the practical difficulty of viewing the camera and using the PC monitor for normal use at the same time.

Reply to
Bill

i guess that's why what am doing right now, typing an email with a live TV feed in the corner (well since its Linux, its on a separate 'virtual screen' that I can switch to when the audio track indicates the adverts are finished)..is completely impossible.

All a web cam has to do is present a real time feed by one of many potential protocols and there are programs to scale it into a window ..

Probably a cheap USB cam and a raspberry pi would serve to generate a network available signal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Bill writes

Could you *screen share*? Top corner view of the yard and the rest of the screen for normal work?

Reply to
Tim Lamb