How best to rip off and con an OAP

The smaller less well know ISPs tend to offer static IPs, people like Plusnet, Zen, A&A etc.

Or pick an ADSL modem that supports one of the dynamic DNS services. Not

*sure* they exist but I'd be surprised if they didn't.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks, all added to the list of things to look at.

Reply to
Bill

Common enough with cordless phone batteries. Two AAA or whatever with a lead all wrapped up to try and persuade you it is something unique. ;-0

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Scrap-collecting pikeys will knock their doors down to get them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But that one is older than anyone's living parents, and I would be surprised that there would still be people falling for it ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"They said even if an amount was above 50% it would still be considered to be a fraction."

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , Frank Erskine escribió:

Same with battery for my Mini. From stealer 117 quid+vat, same model Bosch with 5 year warranty off fleabay for 50 quid delivered.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Bill escribió:

Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Mine does. BT Voyager 2110

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It is very old but as it's still doing the rounds people are still falling for it. Trouble is some may actually be genuine proper traders that have spotted something amiss and have fixed it and done a good job.= Other just get the ladders out bang about for 15 mins, break more slates/tiles than where broken in the first place and then demand =A3150= for an hours "work".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And pigs may fly.

Quite. Never ever employ a tradesman who comes knocking on doors. Good ones would find it too demeaning, as well as a waste of working time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought that "this repair" was "we need a new battery", until the salesm.. um service engineer took a look and tried to up-sell.

If he hadn't tried to up-sell it would have just been "supply a new battery"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It's just like any con

I can't believe that people fall for the internet dating con of "I need 10 grand to pay for an operation for my sick daughter".

Would you give 10 grand to someone you have never met just because you've exchanged a few intimate emails?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

II?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

> "They said even if an amount was above 50% it would still be considered to

I don't get how this system saves energy.

from (which I think is the same system):

"The internal energy cells first store as much heat as possible when the radiator is switched on. This takes about 10 - 20 minutes "

and

"In "top-up mode", the radiator will use on average only 12 -14 mins per hour of electricity to provide a full 60 minutes of warmth "

Let's say that for a particular room size you need a 2kW version (or 2*1kW) of this clever heater.

How is having a "high tech" solution which turns this 2kW element on-for-25%/off-for-75% of each hour going to perform better than having a

500W heater on 24/7?

You're still putting 12kW of heat into the room in a 24 hour period.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You know that, I know that. Anybody with a grasp of basic physics knows it.

Unfortunately, like many scams before it, there are sufficient people who can be hoodwinked for money to be made.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

"got any knives you want sharpening gov?"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

But this scam is approved for use in Germany where an alternative way of doing the same thing, but at less cost to the consumer (albeit with some operational inconveniences) is banned for use because (presumably) it's an "inefficient" way of heating a room.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

They still exist?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyone with a basic understanding would say kW is not an amount of energy, its a rate.

Reply to
dennis