How best to remove masking tape adhesive

I masked some upvc that I needed to seal, unfortunately I wiped the excess sealant off with a damp cloth. As a result on removing the masking tape the masking tape adhesive has been left behind. Any solutions (no pun intended) to its easy removal?

My fault, I should have remembered, years ago I beached my boat to paint the anti fouling, the tide came in before I had chance to remove the masking tape, so I had the same problem, never did find a satisfactory solution.

TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Paraffin to get the glue off, methylated spirits to remove the paraffin residue (on wood anyway) works for me.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Inibisol (spelling may be wrong) cleans anything, we used it in the labs when I was much younger ....

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

WD40 will remove most tacky type adhesives from labels, masking tape etc. HTH

Bob - ex slidey [ilot

Reply to
Bob

Inhibisol, IIRC. Not seen it for ages. Used to dissolve quite a few plastics, too. As well as the ozone layer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Think it's the petrol base that does the real work, so if you've got any around for the lawn mower etc this would be cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman wrote

I find that WD40 works well on very old masking tape adhesive that's gone hard if you can leave it to soak for 10 to 30 minutes or so. Many solvents such as petrol evaporate long before this whereas WD40 doesn't.

Usual warning about testing it out first on some upvc that doesn't show apply.

Reply to
Alan

Vegetable oil is usually a lot gentler on most materials, and also works, though may need a few more minutes to soak.

Reply to
Ian Stirling