How best to fill gap

See pic...

As you can see I am preping some woodwork ready for painting but while getting all the loose stuff off I find this gap where the wooden frame meets the wall. Whats the best way to fill this? Just with acrylic silicone OR use a `cement` filler and finish off with silicone? It is approx a cm wide the gap. My fear would be if using a `cement` type filler then damp could cross the gap and eventually rot the wood. Despite looks the wood is currently in good condition.

[IMG]
SS

[IMG]

Acrylic decorator's caulk. - its NOT a silicone. Or an acrylic frame sealer suitable for exterior use. Both can take paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[IMG]
>I always use cement based for this type of exterior filling. A sand/cement mortar with a dash of pva
Reply to
stuart noble

If it's that wide, I'd mortar it in. For a narrower gap I'd use building silicone.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

[IMG]
>I use Trowel Mastic, for example, one made by Sika. It is basically boiled linseed oil and sand mixed. It sets in some months but moves and is waterproof.
Reply to
Geoff Pearson

[IMG]
not found But now that you're here, go ahead and search through the billions of photos, images and videos on Photobucket.

no thanks

Reply to
Phil L

[IMG]

works, but cracks if wood shrinks

car body filler works too :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[IMG]

That stuff has become too expensive to use in bulk

Reply to
stuart noble

[IMG]
> Page not found

Let my try the link again, sorry about that.....

SS

In article , Geoff Pearson writes

That's def the trad way and is what a tradesmen would use on large scale sliding sash windows in Scotland.

The more modern approach is foam for bulk plus frame sealant to seal. It's not a trivial gap so it would cost a fortune to do in gun sealant alone so I would use proper gun foam (far more controllable), cut back to a profile when cured then sealed with acrylic frame sealant.

One thing, decorators' caulk is wholly unsuitable for this kind of job, it's for indoor use only.

Reply to
fred

I have some in the shed that claims to be good for inside and outside.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks for the heads-up, historically that is quite unusual but I see Toolstation do some that is suitable for both interior and exterior use.

That said I'd prefer to use something described as a sealant for this type of job as it generally implies more flexibility than a caulk.

Reply to
fred

oddly enough I used it on the camper, and two years later is still fine.. and that's outside all year

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

frankly ive not found any real diffrence in properties

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[IMG]
on a gap that size (and with a timber window) I'd use timber quadrant, primed and undercoated all round and fixed to the frame, bring it up to a gloss finish with the rest of the frame and then run a bead of mastic twixt wall and quadrant.

A method I've found to be successful over many years.

If you want a belt 'n braces job, fill the holes with bit of expanding foam before fixing the quadrant.

Cash

Reply to
Cash