How am I meant to paint the stonework in this bloody weather?

I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with Johnstone's Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the bloody stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the bigger areas. (On a scale of "passable" to "excellent" my painting is often "re-sit" but this is much worse than usual.) And the paint in the kettle seems to get gloopy on top before I've moved the ladder once. I've tried thinning a bit with white spirit but that didn't make a noticeable difference. Anything else I can try please? Or is it just too bloody hot (in London) for East facing stonework which gets hot first thing with a paint which always dries v v fast?

Reply to
Robin

Robin scribbled...

Change your painting times to early or late, when the sun isn't on the wall.

Reply to
Jabba

Yep. I have a couple of gates that need painting. The alarm is set for

6:30 am
Reply to
Nightjar

Do it at night?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It gets light at 5 set it for 4 you lazy bugger!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I might were I painting an entire house.

Reply to
Nightjar

One of the benefits of the plioilite formulation is that contractors can paint in near freezing conditions. Not so good in the warm obviously.

Reply to
stuart noble

DIY before 11am is alien to me...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That is my most productive time of the day. After lunch I have a power nap, after which ICBA to do anything.

Reply to
Nightjar

Tricky as it's a terraced house and while neighbours on one side ar as relaxed as a very, very relaxed relaxed-thing, t'other side is as about as difficult as finding a virgin* who wants to go to bed with my mind.

*female, human - sheep need not apply
Reply to
Robin

But sadly not to me in May when I decided to try it :(

To be fair, it was fine on the back half of the house; and it lives up to the "showerproof in 20 minutes" claim

Reply to
Robin

It's getting light at 4, by 5 it's well light. Not that long ago it was light at 4.

Hardly a "power nap" if YCBA to do anything afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Power nap is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Reply to
Nightjar

The data sheet doesn't mention it but the cans of Johnstone's Stormshield Pliolite I am using do permit thinning with white spirit and that was confirmed by their tech support yesterday. But they also made clear (while naturally not disparaging their product) that the pliolite was *very* quick drying even in freezing weather. And the collective advice of the blokes at the local Johnstone's Decorating Centre yesterday confirmed my experiments: you can't thin it enough to work in direct sun when it's hot unless you want to do 4 coats and still end up with half the paint on the bricks, down your sleeve etc.

Reply to
Robin