Housing market is realy bucking up!

Of course they can be controlled. A free market in land and zone planning to be precise. Planning can dictate the minimum required for a house and its relation to its plot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

50% of all homes are now high or low rise (flats). No one wants them. 90% of those in them would rather not be there.

Yep. But that still does not alter that it is HATED.

There is a need for those type of building, but passing them off as the answer bordering on silly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A google for: sustainable tower block produces some interesting report on tower block regeneration. They are well-suited to eg elderly people who like having lots of neighbours within easy indoor walking distance.

Having a concierge will be appreciated more and more with the growth in internet shopping - someone always in to take those deliveries.

Personally, as well as the issues discussed, I think one mistake we made in many cases (particularly Scottish peripheral estates) was having TBs standing in open "parkland" instead of being better integrated with retail and commercial premises at ground level. Obviously no-one wants to live in Cumbernauld[1] but having to walk across windswept unkempt wasteland to a bus stop is bad design regardless of the merits of the building itself.

Owain

[1] See "Demolition", C4, tonight (Tues). 8pm.
Reply to
Owain

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

How does that work then John? how does increasing the housing density speed up the building process, can the various trades jump from unit to unit quicker? Prescott has ensured that we developers continue to build rabbit hutches for years to come, you should be ashamed for what he is doing.

I'm not suggesting quotas at all, the 15% is house to garden proportion as in many other countries but as your in agreement with this anyway how would this fit in with the 14 houses per acre allowance that this government has brought in?

Reply to
David

No room next to me mate. I'm surrounded by 2 up/ 2 downs, factories, run down shops, and pubs you wouldn't venture into.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And no decent local infrastructure. You mentioned your place will be within easy walking distance of where you want to go - ie nice shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. This wasn't the case with many high density council estates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

Given a free choice people will drive just out of town until they find a clear space and then build a house on it, it will mean all the large cities and towns will just get larger, most folk don't want to live in the country they want to live in towns and cities or on the edge of them

I believe in releasing more land for housing but not just so that people can build/buy houses as a second home, as far as I'm concerned any thing after your main residence should be taxed to the hilt.

Reply to
David

No problem with high rises in prosperous areas with owner occupiers. Thatcher was right about that.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In message , David writes

If you included landlords in this, they would move out of the provision of reasonable quality property for rent, thus depriving those who need/want to rent rather than buy.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Are you actually saying she was right about something? Well she did look after Bumpkins didn't she, as those retards voted for her.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

OK, so you have no idea what the word 'mountain' really means, even to yourself.

Reply to
roger

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

But you aren't answering the question even now.

Clueless Dribble doesn't even know what a mountain is. :-)

Reply to
roger

"David" wrote things in message news:+ snipped-for-privacy@chapelhouse.demon.co.uk...

More an an acre. You are slow.

Bertie, I said I did not agree with wonderful Prescott.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I hope it stays that way.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How is it in your sink estate?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bertie, some will.

Bertie stop guessing, as yiou are a bad guessser. Read the documents.

Why not? What is wrong with that?

Why? What harm is a nice house in the country doing? Bertie Read the documents. Don't make things up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel
[Dave Plowman (News)] :

Agreed 100%. Where I will be there is a coffee/lunch shop with a direct entrance from our foyer, 7/11 convenience store, great pizza place, cafe, newsagents on the same block, tram stop outside the front door (St Kilda beach 10 minutes, 8 trams/hour each way). The list of amenities within 10 minutes walk is too long to recite. And when I get old and decrepit there is a doctor's surgery across the road and chemist on the next block. In this location owning a car will be pretty pointless: I'll just hire one for a monthly 'big shop' or weekends away.

There are loads of low density suburbs that Drivel would have us believe are the way forward (Melbourne has roughly the same footprint as Greater London and just 3 million people) which are fine if you have a car, but if you can't drive for any reason then you would probably feel pretty isolated.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Right about that, right about the unions, and probably right about the poll tax.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Reply to