House With Underneath Basement Apartment ?

Apologies if this is slightly off topic...

I noticed a 3-storey terraced house for sale which has a separately owned basement apartment which is rented out.

I was wondering if there might be anything specific to this situation which I should consider?

Are there generally any problems associated with having a separately owned basement apartment under a house? Such as structural, or any other problems?

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
Mikeww

obviously. what the other owner does may affect your structure. Dividing walls/floors are covered by the party wall act, which makes it expensive just to get permission to do work on them. then theres access matters.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

There are upsides and downsides, upsides include a shared cost for maintenance and repair to roof/ drains etc downsides depend upon the owner of the flat.

I'd talk to the tenant to see what the landlord is like, is he local etc or could be let through a local agent if so talk to them about any future repair issues that my crop up, they may have the authority to authorise work.

Dave Jones

Reply to
Dave Jones