House water main

Hi all, we seem to have a low flow problem in our flat, ours is the first floor and there are two other flats below us, one at the front and one at the back and we are above both in the roof pitch Just like a big bungalow!!!!

The problem is that we have quite high pressure but if someone downstairs flushes the loo and then runs a bath our water supply stops as in you turn the tap on a NOTHING COMES OUT !!!! All three flats are fed from just one stop c*ck in the road about 30meters away and nothing has changed we've been with this problem for about 5 years since we moved in, what would the water board do if I told them, is it there problem or mine if so what do they charge to connect a new supply pipe to the main in the path by the road????

Richard

Reply to
Rich

My daughter has same problem and Thames Water wanted to treat our proposed separate feed for her flat as a new development connection. The cost was too prohibitive even if we ran new mdpe up to the stopcock.

Reply to
BillR

Your system is in much need of an upgrade. Contact the water supplier and have them install a new pipe to just your flat. The other two flats can probably work of the exsiting feed.

Reply to
BigWallop

I aggree but it will likely cost £100s if my experience is anything to go by..

Reply to
BillR

Richard very common problems in higher rised flats of 3 floors or above...My first point of attack would be to consider putting a pump on the supply pipe into property or connect a pump inside your individual property.

Reply to
Keithc666767117

Then when the pressure drops, your pump will burn out because it doesn't have enough water feeding it to pump anything. Bad Idea, me thinks.

Reply to
BigWallop

But by laws for the supply of potable water says that the supplier must be able to supply it to all households without prejudice. So if your water stops flowing because the system is not able to supply it correctly, then you can either sue the supplier, or have them put it right at their own cost.

Reply to
BigWallop

When you say £100's what is this refering to as I will install the new blue plastic water main myself from the house down into a trench and out to the garden wall so the supplier can connect up with little digging would it still cost £100's??????

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Oh sugar, just read another bit from same missive and it's more relevant:

"* I recall Mr P Delaney commenting that your property may be supplied by a communal supply (shared pipe). This means than your pressure and flow can fall considerably when your neighbours are also drawing water, due to preferential flow. I will have to check this though.

  • In this situation, you have the opportunity to apply for a separate connection, ultimately offering you a dedicated supply. If your pipes are lead, and you replace them inside the house to the boundary line, Water Service will carry out the work on the public footpath/carriageway (Free Of Charge). I must add that this is not an emergency type operation, and therefore you may have to wait between 6-8 weeks for action. You also have to complete your replacement pipework first, to our satisfaction. Depending on the diameter of the PVC duct you laid under your driveway, you may be able to accommodate a new supply pipe."
Reply to
Suz

I think illegal -- it can cause any leaks to suck contamination into the water main.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok thanks very much for all the posts will contact the water supplier

Rich

Reply to
Rich