House trips started going..... why?

Page 2 of 2
wrote:> > I too am a bit perturbed by the apparent setup, with both an

Trust me, it doesn't. Its not nearly as simple as you just suggested. Mixing a v-ELCB and an unbonded electric shower is not too clever.

You have a fundamental installation problem and need it sorting out. You might also have a faulty appliance, but that's secondary. Someone needs to carefully look over your earthing system.
With a v-ELCB in circuit and tripping you will almost certainly have no real earth in the place, and you may also have voltage differentials sufficient to cause electrocution in more vulnerable situations where human and water mix.
Understand this: the v-ELCB disconnects the whole house earth system in order to function. Its how it works. Your house earth loop must still be unearthed if the Chilton is tripping.
The basic use of the obsolete v-ELCBs is only secondarily for additional protection against small earth leaks, its primarily to make installations safe when there is an inadequate earth. When I say safe, I mean for obsolete values of safe, and in no way safe for use with an electric shower.
A v-ELCB on a wiring system is cause for caution. There are real issues with them. They allow some types of dangerous situations to occur without tripping.

normal.
I've got to ask, are you still taking electric showers?
Regards, NT

Thought you were working your way up to a fine Mark Lamar rant there, Nick...
snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote in message wrote:

:) I bet this guy is still taking electric showers too.
Regards, NT
RCDs should not trip with load increasing.... although there may be increasing leakage to earth with increasing load, which might be tripping it.
I think the answer might well lie in the earthing arrangements being different to what they where before.
We had exactly this job done about 2 years ago and we still have the exact same Chilton in circuit (with no earth wires attached) so it is just an isolator now, to be removed when I get round to it.
I put a couple of new earth rods in and connected up to the house earth.
All works perfectly.............
If the Elec Board is supplying an earth (I would be a bit surprised though) then the voltage drop (current flowing) would be dependent on load. However, even this should not trip a RCD - its the imbalance that trips these.
My vote - 1) Get the board back to demonstrate the problem and ask them to sort it 2) Try a new RCD if they can't / don't, possibly a 100mA delayed, but there must be something not quite right if this is needed in the average family house, and these are no good for shock protection - even 30 mA is really very unpleasant !
Nick
froggers wrote:

Like an extraordinarily hot dry summer?
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 08:35:18 +0100, "froggers"
Related but mayjnot be relevant.
Last Sunday morning the circuit breaker tripped out and refused to re-set. By a process of elimination the trouble appeared to be in the ring serving the kitchend and utility room.
Having un-plugged /switched off every item on this ring, with the exception of the built-in fridge-freezer which was plugged into a socket mounted on the wall behind it, inside the cabinet, there was nothing to do but pull the b****y thing out so it could be switched off, to see if this was where the problem lay.
Just had it pulled out, it was a tight fit and required the removal of doors and various trim pieces,when swmbo appeared to ask if the problem could be anything to do with the vacuum cleaner, which had been cutting out while she was using it, but was still plugged in upstairs.
B****x
Unplugging the machine cured the fault.
There must have been a short or summat at the plug end of it's cable as removal of the plug and trimming back the lead a few inches solved the problem of it cutting out .
Electrics wouldn't be a strong point with me, I was off sick that day, so perhaps someone else can understand this errant behaviour.
A few years back we had a severe problem of the breaker going off regularly. In this case it was down to a bad connection at the mains end of the board.
Paul Mc Cann

Probably an earth to neutral short somewhere. These tend to produce earth leakage problems somewhat proportional to load.
Also, was the earthing type upgraded during the cable change? It sounds like you may have gone from TT to TN-C-S. It is important to find out if you have.
Christian.