House too hot?

It does block some UV (the more harmful to the skin- and eyes in the case of arc welders, I believe). I should correct what I said from just "UV" to "some UV and visible spectrum radiation" - sorry. It's also the case, as you imply, that greenhouse glass (plain and thin) has different characteristics to say double glazed Pilkington K. Nonetheless the basic principles of "shorter gets in and is converted to longer (wavelength) which can't get out" still holds and is "the greenhouse effect". In terms of the atmosphere and the earth there is (clearly) more going on but, by the time you have cancelled everything out, it's still a good appoximation. I also used the term "adiabatic cooling" when I meant "lapse rate cooling", while I am doing corrections!

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Even drk ones will block it.

The front of our house faces south, in summer it can become unbearable when the sun is shining. We cool down immediately as we close the curtains.

I open the top windows on the north facing side and open the outside doors, that way there's a flow of air through the house.

There's no mystery in it, you cut out radiated heat and ventilate with convection currents. The house is always cooler inside than outside - even with the pc running - it's under oneof the north facing open windows :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not all French houses are like that andmany English ones are.

But what about when the shutters "function as solar panels and will loose gained heat to the room " ... ?

Os thatwhat caused all thoseFrench people to dir from heat?

There are times when theory is fine but I know what WORKS. I wouldn't do anything unless it did.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You mean the "external louvred shutters closed on the outside"? ;-) They don't lose any heat to the room 'cos they're outside.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Early EPROMS (2708, 2716 etc, last ones I had dealings with) had quartz windows "because glass blocks UV" (UV was used in eprom erasers).

Reply to
Bob Martin

I've never seen a British house with inward opening windows and working shutters are extremely rare in my experience.

Not if on the outside

French weather i.e. much higher temperatures than Britain.

Reply to
jacob

All the windows in _my_ British house open inwards.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

That's interesting. Is it old or new? Are there others similar in the area? Is it imitation of French style or pure Brit?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

PS and are the windows a later replacement in an older house?

Reply to
jacob

The house is about 20 years old, and yes, there are many similar windows in the area. Not classic French style - quite modern ones, with a choice of limited opening from the top (tilting in), or full opening from the side (like a door). Very useful for deliveries of awkwardly sized furniture, and, of course, it makes cleaning the outside of the glass very easy! Also - having the windows open to the inside, made it very easy to install midge-proof screens on the outside. Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

No, they're original equipment, but I've also seen them as replacements in older houses. The ones in the older houses often are made to look like traditional sash windows, so as not spoil the look of a period property.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

:-)

I think it doesn't matterwhich way they open - the best are sash windows open top and bottom to creat a circulation.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh come on! How would she know? Perhaps the French ones are imitations of the British.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes I agree (in Britain) see

but in France in summer the fully open window+closed shutters is loverly.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

So you can see the view!

I'd rather be outside in almost any weather.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, but the ground next to the house does, and it heats the adjacent air. By lifting the house up you get it into a significantly cooler (and windier!) layer.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thermal inertia is what makes it work. I maximise the heat loss at night, and minimise the heat gain in the day.

This isn't just theory, it really works!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ