house temperatures

There's the problem then...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are failing to understand the fundamental operation of a thermostat.

If you've set it at 13C then the CH will maintain the temperature (at the stat location) to 13C.

When you've got all your friends round boozing they will of course be contributing significantly to the heat in the house and hence your stat will be calling for heat less (if at all when sat at 13C!) hence your CH will not be coming on (as much).

Thus, you need not reduce the temperature of the stat - the house will remain at least 13C through either the stat-controlled-CH or, more likely, the booze-filled-people...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I am quite agreeable really ;-)

Not sure, but I am sure you will get over it soon!

I think I was one of a few people who mentioned it...

It will be interesting to hear the verdict when he has tried it in anger. (Must admit it has transformed me into the "silicone king" in these parts!)

Even the grammar police eh! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Might be old age mellowing of course...

Don't worry, I'll report. He has a lantern to make and a washing machine to fix first.

:-) I plead distraction. Had the K pins removed this morning, it was traumatic.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't forget that the place will get warmer quicker if you turn up the knob higher.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Obviously not capable of thinking independently...

See above.

Yup, see above.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

You have an implant?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I haven't, any more. They were removed, forcibly, this morning.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The hooks?

I was thinking more about John's silicone implant.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, it is just the way I stand! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Every one a winner :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not sure what age has to do with this. Is your position the older you are the more likely you are to be right?

As you appear to consider yourself well versed in the purpose of thermostats, perhaps you would be kind enough to explain why the introduction of additional uncontrolled sources of heat (more bodies in your case) requires the CH thermostat set point to be adjusted.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

There seems to be two opposing views of a thermostat.

  1. A knob that I can twiddle right up or right down according to how I feel. (Used in conjunction with opening windows and lighting the fire)

  1. A control to maintain the house at an agreed temperature.

(Does gender enter into this?)

John

Reply to
John

I had K wires, hooked where they poked out, insterted into the bones of two toes. They were pulled out yesterday. I thought I sent you a picture.

See

for something else to find a place for in your workshop.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The old ones are the best.

I prefer them to silicone ... off for a mammogram this afternoon. It's all go!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not really.

At least 70% of people think the thermostat controls how FAST the room warms up.

I have many many times come into an office at 9:30 a.m. to find all the TRV's up at 5, because someone was chilly when they arrived at

7:30...and the windows are now also open...because someone else was too hot.

My wife, used for years to an unregulatable solid fuel open loop system, insists on opening windows and doors to regulate the house temperature, rather than simply turning that stat down.

My mother, in a two radiator room in her care home, insists that one radiator doesn't work...because that has a TRV she cannot reach, set to

3, and she always cranks the other one up to 5 and opens the window.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes you did. I was impressed.

Did they let you keep them for tying up the beans?

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, and I did ask! They said that they used to allow people to have them but it's now illegal. Straight into the Sharps bin. I didn't ask why, perhaps they were seen as a potential weapons. I wasn't allowed an extracted molar once, because "it might be infected"! That's after it had been in my mouth for decades!

Too hard for tying beans anyway, even if they didn't hold themselves up. I just would have liked them for a keepsake. I have the staples from my head although they wouldn't let me have the tumour itself - I did manage to persuade the surgeon to give me a section on a slide.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmm. I hadn't realised that you are a female Igor. Didn't know they existed.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

?