House Survey Books

Hi does anyone know of any books about doing a basic home survey.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I can't remember the name of the book I read but it was written to be used by student surveyors to study the subject and was fine for surveying a Victorian terrace house. I then made up a checklist and walked round the house with it.

Anna

-- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Pargeting, decorative and traditional / ^^ \// lime plasterwork |______|

07976 649862

Reply to
Anna Kettle

There are a number of books which are comprehensive.

However, you should remember that although you may be told how to look for faults and what some basic situations may indicate, it will not tell you the wider implications - ie is the condition on-going, historic, of concern, minor or what it will cost to fix.

For example, a crack right down the lounge wall may look serious but be of little consequence and be easily remedied. But you could use this to get a good few thousand off the property price or it could put you off the property and you miss a bargain. Or a very small piece of blown plaster may appear to be a minor decorating issue, but it could be caused by severe distress to the wall from the load from the upstairs wall after the previous owner removed a structural support.

Is that white powder on the roof rafter caused by a previous leak or condensation, is it fungus or salts? Do you spend £500 on a roofer or a loft insulator - or both?

Only experience is going to help you here, not a book.

Books are allright for helping you learn long term, but not if you expect to be able to read one and then go and do your survey.

dg

Reply to
dg