House rewiring

I was going to add - I just got the Green book (Amendment 1) as my old Red was getting knackered.

I am NOT shelling out for yet another bloody copy because someone was bored.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is a skill that I like to teach.

RCD protection for "everything" in the 17th and just RCD protection where needed in the 16th.

And that is where your comments become silly.

Reply to
ARW

round pin plugs, lead sheathed cable, paper insulated or some other museum piece would make you want to consider rewiring. PVC insulated wiring installed correctly certainly good for more than 30 years.

Reply to
rick

Agreed.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Good.

FFS.

Why?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

He (along with Speed) are just trolls. Beats me why anyone bothers taking the bait.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Your decision to have no RCD protection on the pump suggests that you are a fool. You have no control over the safety of the pump installation.

Reply to
ARW

Since I put it there, I have every control over it. And not having an RCD on it might endanger the goldfish, but it's unlikely for the pump to leak.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

With speed, I would agree - hence why I have a filter set to mark all his posts as "read" before I get to em. The lootenent however is a somewhat more skilled troll, and on some occasions manages to ask what might be interesting questions to some readers in the future. The fact that he just wants to argue with the answers later, is in some ways neither here or there, since the question and its answers will remain in the archives for years to come. So to my mind, some engagement is worthwhile initially.

Reply to
John Rumm

Worth keeping in mind that there are separate motivations for a rewire. Knackered cable etc is certainly one, but a install that does not meet the needs or patterns of modern usage could equally be another, evn if the cable is in perfect health.

Reply to
John Rumm

And how often do you do a 500V 1000MOhm insulation test on the pump and its supply cable?

Reply to
ARW

About the same number of times as I worry about a very unlikely problem which isn't going to kill anyone but a goldfish even if it were to occur. Those pumps have IP ratings you know.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Adding a few sockets hardly needs a rewire. Just a few spurs. It's doubtful anyone would need more than 30A on a socket ring.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

En el artículo , Vir Campestris escribió:

Not sure yet, this is an installation in Spain. I get to look at it next week to try and work out what happened.

Crappy camera on a well-abused Samsung Galaxy S Pro, sorry. (Not mine.) Also did a gamma correction (shift-U) and a sharpening (shift-S) in Irfanview to try and improve the image.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If my lights went out at 11 p.m., and I was awake to know about it, rather than finding and rewiring the fuse, I would turn on a bedside lamp (or similar) and worry about the lighting circuit fuse(s) in the morning.

Reply to
Windmill

If an earth fault was to occur, the fuse/MCB might not operate. It would be possible to get an electric shock even stood at the side of the pond in wet weather.

Reply to
harryagain

Only a little one.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Only a little one.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You can if it's a "conservatory".

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Probably because the UK is overpopulated, so building on your own property usually blocks someone's light. Mind you, planning permission seems to always get granted anyway, so I don't know why we bother with it at all.

Reply to
Uncle Peter