House rewiring

BS7671 covers schools as well as domestic property.

Reply to
John Rumm

Pah, lightweight ;-)

I just counted about 42 sockets in use in my office.

Reply to
John Rumm

but some LEAs have their own regulations over and above the national ones.

Reply to
charles

Indeed, but generally not under and below... i.e. a LEA should not be able to override BS7671 with a lower standard.

Reply to
John Rumm

That is for cartridge fuses.

Reply to
harryagain

I suppose it could be worse and they could end up having one of my apprentices do the work.

Reply to
ARW

I had not realised just what a can of worms it can open up, but I have now read the wiki. The electricians who are dealing with this recommended just changing over the fuses, whilst I had expected them to suggest a new consumer unit. I can see why, now.

Reply to
GB

In-of-the-deed. (As we say in my family, unfortunately.) It is all pretty harmless stuff, and it evidently provides him with entertainment. However, once I understood what he is up to, I stopped bothering to provide rational explanations. That is taking the entertainment a bit too far, and he is clearly not interested in the answers.

Reply to
GB

Which ones? Cause it ain't BS88 or BS1361 fuses

Reply to
ARW

They could have me. It would be nice.

In about 3 years...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's hardly rocket science. It's easier than wiring a plug.

Like I said, it's not rocket science. If they're intelligent enough to read and write, they can rewire a fuse.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Get a reality check.

Here is a small list of customers that can read and write. I have worked for them I would not trust them to correctly change a fuse - this list only includes one person in that profession and I do not claim that everyone in that profession cannot change a fuse. It also includes some what they have said to me.

Teachers (not Geography teachers for some reason). Never let an English teacher do any DIY Duty Solicitor (sorry to keep you waiting in the cells I ran out of petrol on the motorway and I forgot my credit cards) Surgeon (yes I can do heart surgery but electrics are not my strong point) Prison Officers (although he did make a good comment about Dennis Nilsen) Armed police officer (how do you know which cables are live) Lawyer (I could do it but myself you are £300 per hour cheaper than me) I am sure he was lying. Football captain (he had a calendar on his wall showing the days he scored - but his team were not playing on some of those days)

Reply to
ARW

If they can't change a fuse, they're too stupid to be in the human race = and we'd be better off without them. If I was their landlord, I'd say (= in a condescending tone), "Yes I'll do it for you, but I'm charging you = for it as most people do this kind of thing themselves". Appliances use= d to needs plugs wiring onto them, now they come pre-wired. It's gettin= g ridiculous. In a few generations, everyone will be complete morons an= d the world will grind to a halt. People need to think for themselves a= nd stand on their own two feet again or we'll never get anywhere.

-- =

Gary's weather forecasting stone: Stone is wet Rain Stone is dry Not raining Shadow on ground Sunny White on top Snowing Can't see stone Foggy Swinging stone Windy Stone jumping up and down Earthquake Stone gone Tornado

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Hmm - attention to detail.

My ex boss's boss was Dennis Nilsen's boss. He described Nilsen as "a bit odd" (before they looked in his drains obviously).

Reply to
Tim Watts

You only think I'm stupid because I disagree with your viewpoint. That makes you an egotistical moron.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In my case it was a higher standard. The electrician quoted it to me, it was the number of milliseconds before tripping in an environment where kids are present.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

How many people work in your office?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Well we had B for a room of 20 computers. I was told it had to be B. I eventually persuaded him to fit C, which improved things a bit. Then later on a different electrician ignored the rules and fitted a D.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

They are normally specced such that the magnetic response will kick in at at no less than 3x nominal, and up to 5x nominal.

Hence why the 5x value is the one to use for the adiabatic calculation when assessing cable survivability under fault conditions.

See the table on the right of the graph:

Also see MK explanation in their spec sheet:

John Rumm

I estimate about 3 sec for a normal plug fuse at 4 x In:

Similar for a BS3036 rewireable:

And only about 1 sec for 4x In with a BS88:

What kind of fuse did you have in mind?

Reply to
John Rumm