House rewiring

Or you could just ignore it since it has words like "possibly" and "potential".

Reply to
Uncle Peter

3) Tell the tenant that landlords are not nannies and they need to work it out for themselves, then ask if they're going to phone to ask if their milk is still drinkable next, or how to change the baby's nappy.
Reply to
Uncle Peter

3) Tell the tenant that landlords are not nannies and they need to work it out for themselves, then ask if they're going to phone to ask if their milk is still drinkable next, or how to change the baby's nappy.
Reply to
Uncle Peter

Set fire to the house and blame them. Good insurance scam.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Set fire to the house and blame them. Good insurance scam.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Is that as a CU swap or just adding RCD protection to the socket circuits? I am sure that you are aware that a fusebox to CU swap can in some cases open a can of worms.

Reply to
ARW

Not too many landlords are that foolish

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Trouble is the tenant will just rewire the fuse with one of the other bits of fuse wire on the card until it stops blowing...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not pointless in this case. It does serve a useful pupose and the OP is aware that RCD protection is needed (at least on the sockets IMHO)

How?

Adding missing earth bonding and RCDs save lives. I have long argued that even the use of RCD plug in "powerbreakers" have saved many lives and injuries but these stats are not recorded as the RCD tripped when it is was supposed to and so it was a non-event ie no-one got an electrical shock and the RCD was not praised for it's actions.

Reply to
ARW

What made them do that?

And incidentally, you can't blow .jpg images up that much and have them look OK.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

RCD sockets are cheap enough to replace all the sockets in risky places like kitchens. Doing them in the consumer unit just protects the cable when it probably doesn't need it.

Reply to
dennis

The 16th Edition regs only required sockets that could be used to power outdoor portable equipment to be RCD protected.

The 17th edition regs require the cable (in most cases) to be RCD protected and all bathroom circuits.

And guess what will happen next. Mantatory testing of RCDs? I have seen plenty of RCDs fail so what scale will the testing involve and will this become some sort of regulation from the nanny state?

Call me old fashioned but EEBADs beats ADS any day.

Reply to
ARW

I think you have this back to front. The proposition is that (1) is simpler, you should be asserting it, not contesting it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I proposed (1) it wasn't simpler, so he was contesting hat I said. What I meant was breakers trip more often than fuses, although they may be quicker to reset.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

An office of 20 computers kept tripping the breaker where I used to work. It was bloody annoying. They had to carefully plug each one in seperately. It wasn't switching them on that did it, it was plugging them in.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Pussy.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Pedant, you know what I mean.

But they're too sensitive to transients like bulk capacitors.

As fuses don't blow that often, the slight inconvenience of finding a screwdriver isn't that much hassle.

I've never known the cause stay. Resetting it seems to usually work.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What? It's not up to a landlord to tell the tenant how to do basic things. If the tenant isn't happy, he can live elsewhere.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Like?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What in god's name have you got plugged in there? I've got two monitors, two printers, a computer, an amplifier, a telephone, and a portable hard disk for backup. That's 8 altogether, not 48. Only one going to the socket though, it's all on a 1kW UPS. I'm going to connect the UPS back into the CU to run the lighting soon, in an effort to increase the LED lamp life. Also it means any powercuts will not darken the house (although that's rare).

Reply to
Uncle Peter