House of Horrors - Part P

While not in any way condoning the activities of Terence Lewis the unregistered and incompetent gasfitter, I think the programme made at least two errors re Part P:

  1. saying that *prior* notice to the council was required if work in kitchen or bathroom was carried out by a non-Part P contractor. AIUI the work can be done with a retrospective application for regularisation, in common with all Building Regs applications

  1. saying that work in the bathroom could only be done by Part P contractors, when the work in question - replacement of a fan - would have been covered by "like for like replacement"

Incidentally, I noted the fan over the bath was IP24.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:59:55 +0100, Owain mused:

He was funny, reminds me of someone I know unfortunately.

Also, minor technical annoyance of mine, but the way they worded it at the beginning annoyed me, using the phrase 'part p registered'. Just annoys me a bit.

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:59:55 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Owain randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not quite. A Building Regulations application (Full Plans, Building Notice or Initial Notice) MUST be submitted to the Local Authority before any work to which the regulations apply commences. Failure to do so can render the perpetrator liable to a fine. However, any prosecution must be brought by the Local Authority no more than 6 months after the contraventions occurred.

In parallel with this is a procedure that the person who carried out the work, or any future owner, can request a Regularisation Certificate at any time for work that has already been carried out, and the Local Authority will determine if it meets the Regulations that were in force at the time the work was carried out.

What tends to happen is that someone starts work without an application, the Local BCO spots it, and says, "if you put in a Regularisation application, we won't do you". That way, the Council gets their money, and they don't have to bother with the hassle of battling with the Council's lawyers (whose primary rolé is to avoid doing anything except cocking up prosecutions).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I understood that no work could be undertaken in a kitchen or bathroom (presumably not including replacing a bulb).

BICBW

tim

Reply to
tim.....

One of my (paramedic) daughters crewmates had a Cat A call last week, to an apparent chippy who had apparently attempted to strip some wires using his teeth. He was DOA. They couldn't get him back.

Standard proceedure with London Ambulance Service is to report this type of call as a 'suspicious death'. Police had to be called, SOCO had to attend, dead body remained in the poor lady's lounge for 3-4 hours :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:18:07 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" mused:

I feel I want to put lol here, but that wouldn't be right, would it?

Reply to
Lurch

8 Additional Note b.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good example of Darwinism working to refine the gene pool though isn't it

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Look on the bright side, she needs a new chippy now - and an electrician. I hope your daughter left one of your cards.

Not really. :-) The poor lady might have missed her favourite TV programme!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Now that is marketing with style! Jo Moore would be proud.

Reply to
John Rumm