House move: vendor leaves junk behind

[Slightly OT] Moved into a house yesterday. The vendor left a load of junk in the garage -- I can't get my car in! I have asked the estate agent to contact the vendor and get them to shift it. Is this something I should get the conveyancer involved with? Or does their involvement end once the money is paid and keys handed over? Any experiences with this?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I believe you are legally entitled to have it removed and then pass the cost on to the people selling to you. The Estate Agent will have the new address.

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

All depends on what was agreed in the contract. If, for example, it was stated that the house + contents are sold as seen, then it is now you problem.

Reply to
NotMe

The contract will normally state "vacant possession". We had loads of crap left in the house we bought. A complaint to the estate agent and some negotiations got us the offer of a paid for skip. We could probably have persuaded them to send some people around to load it as well, but we didn't bother.

However, if the vendor doesn't play ball, you'll have to decide if it is worth sueing in the courts. After all, you won't be claiming very much, unless the rubbish is loads of asbestos waste or something.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You're lucky it's only in the garage, so easily accessible. My cellar was left full of junk.

At the end of the day, it IMHO would just be simpler to dispose of it yourself by taking it down the local tip - or pay someone to do it for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's worth asking first, though. It got me 140 quid for a skip. The estate agent took it upon themselves to add it to their customer's bill.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Every contract I've had when buying a house (even using different solicitors) has included a standard clause stipulating all junk to be removed, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't in yours too; but check.

Notwithstandig that, I have to say that when I?ve bought properties in the past where there?s been a ?junk issue? like this, I?ve always satisfied myself that it?s been removed before Completion, as after that you?ve no leverage at all.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I know. It'll probably pan out that way... But its very irritating. The house was sold "vacant possession" (apart from the fixtures & fittings we agreed when we both signed the Fixtures & Fittings form). And the vendors have had a period of weeks since the house went on sale to get the stuff shifted. Ignorant tw*ts.

It would take me 3 or 4 car loads/ a whole day to and from the skip. Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

In fact, we weren't too bothered as some of the stuff they left was quite useful, including an almost new (but very basic) gas cooker, which we're still using until the kitchen is finished and we can order the Rangemaster.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Our cellar was 3 foot deep in old newspapers and unopened Brown Envelopes Of Doom . Felt quite sorry for the guy really - the house was a mortgage repo.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes. My cellar contents included some decent but old tools, and a load of wood. The vendor's husband was long since dead, so probably nothing of use to her.

I had agreed she could take some 'much loved' rose bushes and IIRC the TV aerial. (She was moving to Brighton. ;-))

In the event, she didn't take the roses, but took all the light bulbs and even the lino out of the hall. But left a cat.

Funny woman.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When my mother moves house she makes sure the house is clean from top to bottom prior to the new owners moving in. And when she shows potential buyers round she points out any flaws in the house! Old skool Yorkshire lass.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

One in this street had the cellar filled up with the rubble of a demolished wall. That one was re-possessed too. Belonged to a builder who let it out. He ripped out all his 'improvements' out of spite - all the heating and bathroom stuff, and just left it in the front garden. Wonder if the BS charged him extra after discovering this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could mention it but one always has to think about how much money/effort it costs if you get a brick through your window. I guess you could remove it to the sellers new house....

Reply to
adder1969

The vendor has left a pile of about 50 bricks in the garage. So, if they want a war...

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

When I moved into my first house there where quite a few things not taken/left. Previous owners left carpets that were not part of sale as they ran out of time when moving out and later tried to arrange a convenient time to come and collect them (after I had filled the rooms with furniture) or even make me pay for them !!! Anyway I said no as (advised by my solicitor) as:-

- They took with them the trap from the kitchen sink as they were unable to get the washing mashine waste pipe off it !!!

- They left no light switch in the lounge as they removed their dimmer, leaving wires poking out (did remove fuse, that was nice of them).

- Left the place in a disgusting state not like when I viewed the property !!. I thought the bath grey until I cleaned it and found it was in fact white !!

Even had the cheek to post me a sink trap about a week later (obviously they got onto their solicitor for the carpets who spoke to mine) and asking to arrange a carpet collection date and time !!. What bloody use was that a week later after having replaced it my self on moving in day, and their replacement one didn't fit either!!!. Also had to change all the locks on advice of solicitor in case I came back from work and found my carpets missing.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Amazing! How much is a 2nd hand dimmer switch compared to the price of the house? Then they'll have to fit it at the new house!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I bought a house from a US serviceman and his family who were returning to the US, They took all the lightbulbs with them. I suppose it's not as stupid as trying to bring 110V bulbs over here! Thankfully, he didn't leave me the problem of disposing of his car, he just dumped it somewhere as I found out when the police came looking for him.

BBC

Reply to
bangbangchicken

Yes, I took all the lightbulbs when I moved. They were all rather expensive bulb shaped CFLs. I did replace them all with 10x60W for 99p ones from Asda, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Quite, thankfully most of this stupidness is now tied down in the paperwork before the sale. Like if you remove a light fitting, you can't just leave the wires you have to fit at least a pendant and bulb, if you don't you end up liable and sparks don't come cheap...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice