House buying process

And I bet your solicitor (I presume that you don't mean that you tried to use a barrister?) was glad to see the back of you. This is one of the primary reasons that my wife avoids doing any private client conveyancing work in the lower end of the market. (she is a solicitor primarily specializing in commercial work). Namely the private punter ringing up every minute asking what's happening? have you done this that or the other? when they have been told what she is waiting for, from whom, the timescale and that they the will be informed when she has some information. Private clients seem not to understand that the more unnecessary time she spends on the phone to them when she has no updates means less time chasing for the updates.

On the other hand she does handle domestic conveyances in the £1 Mill + range because those clients seem to have a much better understanding of the 'business' aspects of the matter. Namely that they are paying someone to handle their affairs - why by a dog and bark yourself? Because she takes a business-like approach to it she and not her firm, is the solicitor of choice in our town for at least one of the firms of estate agents that specializes in the top end of the market.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Thank you Neil,

I've been waiting for someone to hit that nail on the head. Domestic conveyancing is simply not cost effective for many solicitors, so to make any money (and I don't mean the lovely profit for doing sweet FA that estate agents do) they have to operate on very high volume using low paid staff. Don't expect that the senior partner will be handling your £200K purchase when you are being charged a few hundred quid for your purchase. You makes your choice, pays your money and gets what you pay for.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

No doubt with those £1M 'bones' the dog in question gives it some attention (no offence to Mrs. S!). With a £500 conveyance fee for a more modest dwelling, a daily kick up the backside is the only way of making sure your own issues are the ones that are chased up first.

Reply to
Chris Game

Why does the soliciting profession "have" to be involved?.

Cant another way be invented?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Richard Savage said

While that may well be true from her perspective - what about the solicitor who is just waiting and waiting and waiting for some paperwork but doesn't bother to make a simple phone call to chase it until harassed by the client?

I have found this to be the case on several occasions - so it cuts both ways.

Reply to
Freda

In message , Freda writes

I find the same thing on many occasions. A sellers solicitor is waiting for something from a buyers solicitor, the buyers solicitor thinks they are waiting for something from the sellers solicitor, or vice versa - or one believes they have already answered a query as much as they need to, and the other doesnt.

Often when we query it, they tend to respond by writing a letter.

I cant understand why they dont pick the phone up to each other.

Then we estate agents get the blame for any delays!!!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Two reasons.

1) Covering your backside is the first lecture of a law degree

2) They can charge for it at quite good margin

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not with fixed-price conveyancing they can't. How many of you shopped around for the cheapest quote?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

None taken. Just trying add a little bias from her point of view.

Liz finds it most frustrating dealing with the solicitors instructed, or more often employed, by building firms

Reply to
Richard Savage

One of the things that you are paying for is someone that your lender will give your mortgage advance with only their word as security. Think about it; your lender will not give you the money to buy your house without some form of security in return. A typical security for a mortgage to buy a house is the house itself! You demonstrate that it is securitty for a loan by placing a charge against the property. You can't do that until you own the property (without the consent of the existing owners!). A chicken and egg problem. The lenders trust the solicitor to hold your mortgage advance with no security against an undertaking that they will register the charge against the property at the same time as transferring it into your name.

The above applies to licensed conveyancers as well,

Of course, if you are buying without a loan you don't need that aspect of a solicitors service.

Reply to
Richard Savage

In message , Andy Hall writes

Agreed on the CYA, but most of our transactions involve fixed fee conveyancing.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In article , Richard Faulkner writes

Yes the legal profession is one that needs an almighty kick up their arses, which they wont get because too many of me 'learned friends are in the houses of parleyment.

The one that I use won't accept any communication by e-mail!. Wasn't all that long ago that they weren't allowed to advertise.

Do they really *have* to be involved at all?, clearly some other system has to be invented.

-

Quite...

Reply to
tony sayer