House Building

All that's just as true of a pre-fabricated house though. Okay some of the interior fittings may be included, but you're still looking at cupboards, wardrobes, floorcoverings, suites, etc. As to a second-hand house, the first thing most people do is rip-out everything that's not to their taste and start again!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Demolition of existing stock that could be brought up to a good standard for far less than the cost of replacement - as was shown with one large redevelopment project in Liverpool last year.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Nay!, didn't mean the council had to build them, just homes for families Three up and Two down with a garden and indoor lav etc not "exec" flats all the bloody time like they do round here!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Was that the godawfull Sheil park flats?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Where? Details?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Tripe. Most people change them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The UK has the oldest, smallest and least insuated housing stock in western Europe

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It wasn't.

That hits the TV and the national press frequently. The Welsh Streets as they all have Welsh names and were built by the Welsh. Wales is only a few miles aways so it figures. The right wing press are a making a big thing of this, so as to discredit a successful government.

I read comments by one of the people camapiaging to get them demolished. Most want them demolished and moved to the new proposed homes adjacent. He said: "However as conflict sells news,I shouldn't be surprised we have not be given fair & Unbiased media time. Even the Liverpool Echo are failing to publish any of our correspondence, whilst constantly publishing that of the anti- demolition groups, even now."

Not even the local papers or radio will give him any time, as he has been blocked out. A political agenda at work. Googled and got this.....

I have lived in the same Welsh Street for over 60 years and having worked as a volunteer street rep. for over 5 years on regeneration of the Princes Park area, I can tell you that the residents can't wait to move into new homes.We are fed up with all the hype about what lovely houses these are, put about by the so-called Welsh Street Homes Group, many of whose original, very few, supporters have now bought & moved into new properties on Clevedon Park, aleaving only 3 residents objecting to the proposals, who all live in Kelvin Grove nd DO NOT represent the Welsh Street residents

THE FACTS ARE : 11 streets are to be demolished from one side of Kelvin Grove to Admiral Street and new housing being built on the site for local residents, including local shops. The remaining Welsh Streets - Dovey,Teilo & Elwy, houses will be refurbished, together with the streets off Windsor Street down to Upper Warwick Street.

The Community will NOT be split up as suggested by WSHG opposition group,who have only lived in the area for about 6 years and only became involved about

18 months ago when Nina Edge became aware that her Kelvin Grove house was part of the demolition plan,who have never been involved with the community and are not known to the community, most of whom have lived here all their lives. Many residents had Improvement grants in the late 70's to have bathrooms built on & general improvements to their properties, however in spite of numerous damp proofing courses, these houses are in bad shape, now beyond saving and residents want something better & have been prepared to fight for that.

Originally three of the streets Treborth, Pengwern & South Streets were not included in the demolition proposals,but residents of those streets fought to be included in the demolition plans and over 200 Welsh Street residents lobbyed the Town Hall meeting of the Executive Board demanding that these 3 streets be included in proposals and won their case. One of the main problems in all this has been the credence & publicity given to the opposition, whilst failing to give a truly balanced view on TV & in newspapers to the views, needs & aspirations of the wider community. However as conflict sells news, I shouldn't be surprised we have not be given fair & unbiased media time. Even the Liverpool Echo are failing to publish any of our crrespondence, whilst constantly publishing that of the anti-demolition groups, even now. Despite all the hype we are now looking forward to brighter future for the Princes Park Area and it's residents in better homes & surroundings.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Were they the three wonderful 22 floor white blocks? Of so these nice looking block were demolished because of construction problems. They looked good on the edge of a park. The sort of thing seen in the South of France.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

snip

All is becoming clear. Dribble is not a Southerner at all but a Liverpudlian. No wonder he won't say where he is from. Even he must see (I think)that Liverpool is not in the South of England.

snip

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I don't see how he can comment on anything then: Liverpool is a foreign country.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it isn't a country - at least, not in the UN terms.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes but it has a population.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

snip

Well it used to be known as the Capital of Ireland and quite possibly still is in some quarters. ;-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It was also known as the capital Wales having held Welsh a Eisteddfods a number of time. But firmly in England. I like the sign at Lime St station when you get off the train. "In England but of England".

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Plenty of young families would take them on and finish them. Sure, there are some that are barely a set of walls, but many are shells just needing windows and carry on from there. I suspect that if the Govt did the decent thing and sold them off to people who really wanted them, the overall market price might be affected - but really, the housing market here is in freefall anyway, so who gives a shit about a slight effect from this lot.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I understand many have been built on greenfield sites nowhere near services, employment or transport. And they could only all be occupied if there were continued migration to Ireland to fill a booming employment market.

Reply to
djc

djc wibbled on Sunday 02 May 2010 18:48

Although I've said it before, here goes ;->

*Loads* of jobs can be trivially relocated by remote offices or home working.

There's never been a better time for anyone who sits on a phone and/or on a computer to be doing that from the comfort of their own home, which could then be somewhere they wanted to live rather than where the jobs supposedly are.

The only thing preventing this is "british management".

Even in senior positions I've had, working from home (usually by force due to train failure) caused much grumbling, despite the fact it was at least

2x as productive.

The only way I can see to sort this out is to put a business occupancy tax on anyone who wants to base their offices in housing starved areas (and that includes London in particular) unless the business meets criteria showing that it needs to be local or needs an attending workforce.

This doesn't mean that a finance company needs not to have a London office - it means it has a smaller London office to accomodate those who need to be about their business in the locality in person. Everyone else stays at home or works from a number of smaller satellite offices in low taxed regions and if that means Scotland, Wales and the North, then good.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Agreed, most of my work is done from home with the occasional face to face meetings in London.

Reply to
Clot

As the first industrialised country, this should hardly be a surprise.

Reply to
John Rumm