Hotpoint washing machine motor

Our Hotpoint WM63 Washer recently suddenly started making a LOT of noise when spinning.
After removing the drive-belt I noticed that the motor shaft has a couple of millimetres of radial play. Assuming that this is not a good sign I extracted the motor and, having removed the through-bolts that hold the motor casing together, discovered that the inside bearing race (belt-end) is *not* attached to the motor shaft (in contrast to the bearing at the other end). This seems odd to me, and there is also some evidence of shearing where the inner side of this race meets an enlarged section of the shaft. Considering the large radial force applied to the motor-shaft by the drive-belt I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a weak-point in the design.
But I don't want to be overconfident given the price of a new motor (around 100). Am I on the right track here? Is this a known problem with these motors? If so, can the motor be repaired?
BTW, the drum makes no obvious noise when turned by hand.
Also, is it worthwhile doing any other preventative maintainance on the machine whilst I have the thing dismantled.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Liam.

I wonder if the belt was adjusted too tight? I've seen the alternator bearing fail in a car when fan belt was too tight.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Common fault on the Hillman Imp afair.
Not as common as oil leaks from the transaxle though. :(
--
Tony Williams.

Think you might find that it was the water pump that would fail ... certainly was with my Imp(s) anyway!

geoff

of petrol into the brake master cylinder?
She was lucky I was watching her at the time
--
geoff

Indeed I have - several times...I worked on a forecourt for a while.

Same here...except just once when quite a bit of fuel was actually delivered! And it was a 'she' on all but one occasion...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Watched someone trying to pour a gallon of oil down the dipstick hole once...
--
Andrew Gabriel