Hotpoint washing machine control knob

The one on my old machine broke up a while back and I'm too tight to pay £11 plus postage for a bit of plastic so I'm managing with pliers. It fits almost every Hotpoint from the 80s and 90s so there must be loads of them on old dead machines if one could but find them. Here's the thing.

got an old one I could pinch?

Reply to
Dave Baker

sorry should have said recyling centre

Reply to
TMC

Watch for a pikey truck to drive past and swap a bit of old metal for the knob on the Hotpoint they invariably have on the back. You could get Matty to grind you one in metal. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

£8.13 here

Walt

My reasoning is that the old part is a faulty design and a new identical part will also break. Therefore I would certainly make a new one.

Reply to
Matty F

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Baker" saying something like:

They were dead common, and there must be lots around heading skipwards. What shaft does it have? Anything standardish might be replaced with a radio knob of sufficient size and the markings simply drawn on the surround.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

plus postage for a bit of plastic so I'm managing

be loads of them on old dead machines if one could

on the Hotpoint they invariably have on the back.

Good idea, it's bound to be easier to pull to turn the power on with soapy hands. The illustrated one is pretty bad in that respect.

Reply to
Graham.