hotpoint washer

hallo,

i have looked quite extensively but can't find instructions on how to remove an unidentified object that has fallen between the drum and it's casing and which has caused some damage to the drum, though from what i can see it has not perforated the drum. it is a hotpoint first edition 1200, front loader. i don't know how to access/take it apart. the back seems to be non-removable. there is a space at the bottom but i can't see how this would enable me to acess inbetween. i am wondering if i have to take the front of to get at the drum ? and if so how to do that without damging the front pieces. thank you, hopefully someone knows.

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

Hotpoints are different from other makes. You do indeed remove the front of the machine. You normally have to loosen the control panel to get to the screws. Once it is off, it is easy to remove the plastic clipped on drum cover and gain access to between the drums.

At least that's what it was like on my Ultima when I needed to change the element. It is identical (apart from the control panel) to an Aquarius and wouldn't be surprised if it is similar to the 1st Ed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Most Hotpoints have a removable front. Here's how mine comes apart (yours may vary slightly); from memory!

Take the top off; two screes at rear.

Release door seal (wire round edge; two possible fittings but should be obvious). Remove soap drawer. Remove control knob (screw should be obvious). Screws that hold front are at bottom and top, including edge of soap drawer hole. Front now comes off; need to remove door catch (best to leave attached to safety cable).

Some wires may need removal...then release clips round edge of tub and remove front of tub. You should now be able to get at the object.

Reassembly is left as an exercise for the reader! Let us know how you get on...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I agree Outlook Express is very limited. Can you suggest another news reader.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Well, I like ProNews/2. But I doubt it will run on your operating system!

Reply to
Bob Eager

yes, you are absolutely right and it is a doddle compared to other machines i've had. i probably would've spotted it sooner but the control panal is held on with a couple of clips and three screws hidden in the soap dispenser, and i use detergent tablets. the hardest bit was putting the rubber skirt-like thing around the porthole. thing. unidentified object turned out to be very strange mishappen lighter-size bit of metal that looks even a bit like the drum. no idea what that ever was, anyway, it took me ages to get it all together again only to find that the drum still drags/scrapes against something. obviously it didn't do that anymore before i put it back together again. but i can't remember if i checked it again after putting the clips back either. ack. so either there's still something in it, or i've dropped something in it, or the drum is so damaged it's scraping against the heating element, or the heating element is damged/skewed, or i've put it together wrong. i think that about sums it up, or what else could i be missing ? thank you

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

it's a hoop, like what you have joining rubber to plastic pipes; with a screw to fasten.

yes. that took me awhile :)

Remove control knob (screw should be

there is no screw, it just pops out. i do hope there wasn't a screw now.

i never thought of removing the door catch. it was a bit difficult.

i did. it went lovely except now it scrapes again after i put it all together. so i went to the chip shop instead.

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

knode on debian woody :)

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

Element could be bent/damaged. Or the bearings could be shot. Next time you take it apart, see if you can rock the front edge of the drum up and down...

Reply to
Bob Eager

it looks like its the element, it looks a bit bent, not too badly but it scrapes (we tested). do we need a new one or can it be straightend ?

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

If it were me, I'd play safe and get a new one. Electricity and water... probably cracked now, or will be by the time you've straightened it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

yes, agreed, probably best. shouldn't be too hard to get hold of one i expect except the hotpoint site seems to be down atm. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ that looks very strange doesn't it ?

anyway, i suppose it's not too difficult to fit them ?

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

Check your local washing machine repair shop...pay over the odds but may still be cheaper after delivery charges. Or get on to CPC (you'll need to phone):

08701 20 25 30

Yes, fits to the front of outer tub lid in my case...and push connectors.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Could the metal be part of the heating element?

Can you get a picture of it on the web?

It sounds like part of the washing machine, anyway. I suspect the rest of it is what is still scraping the drum.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes. You've already done most of the work. I found that a few extra steps were required from the official technique.

The element is held in by a rubber grommit that gets squashed by some bolts to expand outwards. You're supposed to release the bolts and the rubber magically retracts, allowing the element to slide out. Yeah right. What you actually need to do is hack the rubber grommit to pieces with a Stanley knife having removed it complete with the plastic clip in cover that it attaches to. The new ones go in easy, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

thank you, we have got the bit orderd now, not too expensive either :)

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

well i've got the clips back on and it doesn't scrape :))) test drive'll be in about an hour i reakon and it was just as you said chris, lots of hacking to get the old one off (i let himself do that as he's the electircs mechanic) thanks a lot bob and you, i am dead chuffed. i'm sure it would've cost me more than 20 squid to get a mechanic in.

sammi

Reply to
sam ende