hotpoint frost free fridge freezer problem

I have a hotpoint frost free fridge freezer... i didnt realise just how noisy these would be, some of the pops and farts wouldd wake the dead! Anoying as that is you soon get used to it. The problem that i have is that there is some icing on the very bottom of the freezer. I only started to notice it when the bottom freezer tray became difficult to slide out. When i remove the tray i can see a frozen line of water that has trickled out from what i can only describe as the plastic cooling mechanism... where the internal blower vent is. The frozen line leads to a frozen puddle that gets to be about 5mm thick. I didnt expect this from a frost free device. Is there a problem with it or should i expect a small amount of ice to be there? There is nothing in the manual about the ice. The manual does say that it will pop and fart though!

TIA Gerry

Reply to
gerry mcallister

As you probably realise, the way the freezer is kept frost free is that periodically (usually once a day) a timer stops the compressor and turns on a heater element. This melts any ice on the cooling plates over which the blower circulates air. The melt water is then caught and flows out of the back of the freezer into a collector on top of the compressor, from where it is evaporated by the heat from the compressor.

If the passage through the back wall is blocked, or some plastic part has become bent, cracked or displaced, then not all the water makes it through. Check the water path and poke something thin and flexible (net curtain spring) down the hole.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Snipped

Thanks Chris, i will have a look at this tonight. What annoys me is that the unit is only 8 months old... if i cant spot the issue thn i think its time to talk to Mr Warranty!

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry