HOTPOINT FRIDGE/FREEZER PROBLEM

I have a Hotpoint fridge/freezer Iced Diamond model 23080 from the

1980s, After some investigation, I have just noticed that it is taking about 20watts all the time, even when the motor is not running. When the thermostat is turned manually to off, this then drops to zero. I have also noticed the motor is hot even when it has been off for some time. Does anyone have any ideas where this "lost wattage" is going? The fridge/freezer is working ok otherwise.
Reply to
John

There's a heater around the cabinet where it meets the freezer door seal, to prevent ice forming there, sticking the door seal and causing it to tear when you open the door, or condensation on the outside where the metalwork bridges the inside to the outside. On some models, there's a switch marked 'H' or 'E' (Heat or Economy) which can turn the heater off. (You can turn it off in low humidity conditions, e.g. in winter, unless you have significant moisture sources inside the house.)

The compressor does get hot by design. It is cooled by the condensor (element on the back) but only when running. It will only cool very slowly via the compressor casing, so I would expect it to stay hot for a long time when the compressor is off.

Also check any door light does go off when the door is shut.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you for your reply, I did not realise the cabinet heater was on all the time, it does not have a heater switch on this model.

Reply to
John

Well, I don't know that specific model. Some other manufacturers use one of the warm pipes normally found at the back, and pass a run of this around the door frame, although I haven't seen this method used in a Hotpoint.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel