Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure

I have a Hotpoint combination 8591 fridge/freezer which has been sitting idle in the shed for the best part of 4 years. I know that this doesn't exactly help it.
Went to use it yesterday and it started to cool. The fridge got cold and the freezer part started to.
After about 4 hours, leaving it on fast freeze, I transferred the contents of my temporarily dud freezer to the Hotpoint.
I then turned the fast freeze off. When I checked later, the temperature in the freezer seemed to have risen a bit. Turned the fast freeze back on and went to bed.
When I checked it this morning, the temperature read about -1 degree (the thermometer sensor was inside the freezer and this was the temperature before I opened the door - i.e. it had risen to this temperature during the night.
Luck illy my other fridge/freezer was now working again, so I transferred the contents back. Although the temperature was -1, the contents were still frozen solid, including some lollies.
When I checked the Hotpoint out later, the fridge was working fine, but the freezer part was still dead. I didn't have much time, but did a quick check after removing the inside back panel from the freezer and found the fan not working. The cooling pipes for the freezer had frost on them, so that side of it was working, although that started to melt as the hot air hit it.
I haven't looked at it any further, and I don't have a wiring diagram for it. I assume that either the fan has died, or one of the temperature sensors isn't working.
Any ideas where I should check/suggestions as to possible cause?
Thanks
Roger
snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote in message

The fans tend to fail on frost frees. You'll most presumably need a new fan for it.
Ffs do a defrost cycle once per day, so there should be no more than a tiny amount of frost on the cooling element. Any more and you may have a non functinoing defrosting timer too. The def timer must work for the machine to continue to function.
Regards, NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Thanks
I'll check the fan out when I get a spare moment and also see what the cooling element looks like. However I think that it was more of a dusting rather than a build up, so it was probably just that day's build up.
Roger