Hotpoint Dryer Recall Update

Wot have that to do with anything? I'm responding to this:

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite right. We live in a nice rural area, have a twenty mile view over the Malvern Hills. 2.5 acres of ground, a large patio, a conservatory and a rotary clothes dryer. We can dry clothes at zero cost in any weather. Why would I need a tumble dryer?

Reply to
harry

And we sponsor any electricity your solar panels create, even if you use it yourself?

Ok.

Because you might actually want to wash and wear (dry) some clothes within a couple of hours? Or dry something that got wet 'quickly' and before going out again, 'any weather'?

And we know *you* wouldn't ever need to do that (like the Linux guy who doesn't care that his webcam doesn't work because *he* doesn't want to use it) but many people do.

Please don't tell me we sponsor some mad anti-social, government led mobile drying service that comes to your house (free to you)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

I commuted from Clacton for a few years. Not too bad, actually. Local train from Clacton to Colchester, then the ex Norwich Inter City. When I first started commuting in 1970, my journey, about 30 miles from Herts was seen as quite long. A friend commuted from Cambridge, but that was unusual. Now, it is the norm.

Reply to
News

Yes, the 07.00 train would arrive from King's Lynn with a few seats left, and then stop at Royston with no seats and the platform full.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But will never been the norm for me (especially now). ;-)

When looking for a new job I was offered one near Chiswick that I turned down simply because I knew I wouldn't have been able to stand that sort of commute. They then offered me a similar role in WGC and whilst that was the right direction (against the traffic) it was still further than I wanted to travel ... 'every day'. Then they said 'how about you work from home two days a week ... '. It was very difficult to turn them down when it was obvious they were bending over backwards to try to accommodate me but I knew what I was like and that it (I) wouldn't last.

I would rather stack shelves in a local supermarket than commute any further than about 30 mins each way (and even that is 29 more than I'd like).

Idea. Get everyone to put their job roles and current location into a big database and get the system to re-allocate the same roles back nearer to where the people live. I bet there are thousands of people 'cross commuting' who would all be very much better off because of it.

Another aspect to all this to me has always been 'living within your means'. I bought this house, on my own when working for BT and it was just about manageable. It could manage because I did 90% of the work myself (and it still had gas lighting). I also took a straight mortgage because I couldn't afford an endowment (possibly 'luckily' as it turns out?). I paid off the mortgage (including an additional bit) when I was 40 and that (security) made me very happy.

That also meant I didn't *have* to rush about the country to get a job that would match my increasing costs, I could cover my outgoings from any reasonable and local job.

Different times though I guess. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup, my train was often nearly standing only and it was only a local shuttle and we were the second stop in. ;-(

I hated it but 'overall' it was quicker / easier (and maybe even safer, but I'm not sure an public transport in Norf Lundin at night could be considered 'safe' as such) than going in by motorbike (even).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I worked once at a construction site in downtown Detroit. Among the sheetmetal workers there was a father-son pair, who commuted daily from their home in Traverse City, a four hour drive each way. In the morning, one of them drove, the other slept; in the evening, they switched places. Despite everybody telling them just to get a twin motel room nearby, they insisted on doing their mammoth drive every day.

Reply to
Davey

Mad. They must have been very very keen on the job or being very very well paid.

Seriously though, *eight hours every day*, consuming fuel and wasting your life away. ;-(

Correction, there are people who spend that sort of time each day in a vehicle but they are normally paid to do just that and are called 'professional drivers'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup. Nobody else there could understand their way of thinking. And although fuel is a lot cheaper there than here, they had an old fuel-guzzling clunker for transport. There was no way that taking a cheap motel room for four nights a week would have cost more than their fuel.

Reply to
Davey

Luckily I only had to do it for occasional meetings.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I wouldn't have another appliance from the same manufacturer who let dud pr oducts out, as it indicates they have a serious systemic problem with desig n/manufacturing, there's no excuse for defective products to ever leave the factory if you have an effective Quality Control system.

With items that are DOA, it's quite possible that there's an issue with the whole production run, so a replacement is likely to be defective too. Alwa ys claim a refund, as the Sale of Goods Act stipulates.

Reply to
Jaffna Dog

I have plenty of clothes. Can't imagine that ever arising.

Reply to
harry

I'm sure you do but it's not all about you though mate. ;-(

Of course you can't. Again, I'm absolutely certain the list of things you couldn't imagine are endless. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have fun finding any manufacturer who has never had a dud product and if you can actually find one, you'll be paying a hell of a lot for what they sell.

Have fun doing that with a car or house.

Reply to
hgww

In message , T i m writes

This village has most things we need - during two bad winters, we didn't use the car for three months. At least two supermarkets will deliver, if required, although we have grocer, butcher, baker, Co-op and more within a hundred yards and prefer local shopping.

Agreed. I do sometimes carry home fallen branches when out with the dog, but last summer discovered I could buy coal and logs online. Bought a tonne of coal in 10kg bags which should last 18 months.

The local DSLAM cabinet was installed last year, against our garden wall. Slow access is one problem we don't face. Son whinges because I've just discovered 'his' Netflix account which, of course, I pay for.

We lived in Hertford prior to moving here, so I do understand, but there are compensations. We walk the dog twice a day and yesterday morning was cold. Icy blue clear sky, sun shining and a glorious day for a walk. Everyone says hello - say hello to a stranger down south and get reported as a perv :-)

We moved here to buy the local PO which is attached to our house, and incorporates the RM delivery office. We retired because POL have moved the PO from our premises to the local Co-op. However, RM have expanded their delivery office to incorporate the ex PO part of the premises. The rent from that funds our retirement. We will both receive state pension within six years and that should be sufficient to enable us to eject RM, giving me two hobby rooms, one 30 x 10, the other 20 x 20, plus attached toilet, kitchen etc. One day ...

Reply to
News

Do they use Landrovers and have a snow plough? ;-)

That's good then. Assuming 'they' can get supplies you sound like you are covered.

We (Mum & Dad) had a Parkray, glass fronted fire and it was often my job to keep it tended. If fully loaded last thing (coal, anthracite or 'coal nuts') and damped right down it would last the night but still needed raking out and the ash removing at regular intervals. Great during a power cut but the novelty soon wears off.

Sweet. ;-)

Ah.

That was my 'local' motorcycle dealer (Sawbridgeworth BMW) but they have since moved (to WGC or somesuch). We were also members of the Hertford Archery Club.

They are lovely for dog walking especially (when you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere and can enjoy it all).

Well, not quite (and I note the ). Maybe it's because we have been here a long time and so do know many of the locals but we still find a smile or nod will get you the same in return, even with strangers.

Excellent.

Yeah ... it's funny, up till quite recently I had no real feeling or thought of my own mortality but as I approach 60 (or so I'm told) and the aches and pains become more apparent I fear that I simply won't be able to do half of the things and jobs I both have and want to do. And the thought that 'living till you are 80' wouldn't give me much solace if I couldn't do those things.

Maybe it's because I feel like I've been hibernating a bit (with a trapped nerve in my back and a persistent cold) and it will all seem better once it warms up. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Once again, we're lucky. The village is on a main road from Aberdeen, regularly ploughed and we have never not received deliveries of mail, milk and other essentials.

We have one open fire, and use it every day during the winter, but it is though choice. We tend to light it after lunch or late afternoon, and only empty the ash once a day. The rads are all controlled by stats, so turn off as the fire takes effect. We probably burn half a hod of coal per day, plus a few logs, so I tend to empty the ash and collect coal and wood first thing in the morning, then we're set for the day.

My home town was Bishop's Stortford, and I well remember the two m/c dealers there (Thomas and Shearings, I think), plus the dealer in Sawbridgeworth.

Yes. My Mum will be 92 this year, which gives me 30 years, but then I realise she doesn't actually do anything. She was certainly active well into her 80s, and even came up here twice a year, on her own, from Saffron Walden, but has slowed down the last five years or so. Give yourself another 25 years of active duty.

Reply to
News

They definitely are 'nice' ... like creating and watching an open fire or a fish tank. ;-)

It's funny, that's a place I've tended to go through rather than stop at. I think there was a computer / game shop of some sort I've been to in the roof of a barn but that's about it.

The place I was talking about (if not the same) was called Sawbridgeworth (BMW) but was in Hertford:

;-) At 85 mine still gets about and likes playing with flowers in her garden and she goes further afield with my sister. They go on steam trains (BIL is a fan), coach trips and even large sailing boats (and the Hoverspeed ferry to the IOW the other day). In fact the problem is stopping her doing stuff she shouldn't, like climbing up on the draining board to wash the walls. ;-(

Good on her. Mum did start to drive when she was 50 but never really went any distance. She will jump on a bus or train but the last bus journey sounded like a mystery tour as she got on the wrong one. However, she has a pretty good idea where she is and made it to her intended destination ok.

Hmmm, I'm one of those people who thinks they 'won't make old bones' but I guess time will tell.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I used to use an engine workshop in Sawbridgeworth, Liddel Engineering, I think. No idea if they are still there without checking. 'Old School' workshop and expertise.

Reply to
Davey