Hotpoint Dryer Recall Update

In message , T i m writes

Whilst I wouldn't choose Harry's words, I confess I have never felt the need to own a tumble dryer. Most of our washing is dried outside, and in the scullery, next to the boiler, on days like today with six inches of snow on the ground!

When we moved into this house, we found the previous occupant had left a tumble drier which we used occasionally, but eventually sold and have not replaced.

Reply to
News

OTOH I cant be arsed top rig a line and hang out clothes, but I have never seen the need for a dishwasher, as all the ones I have had break or block, and people who use them regularly spend more time washing the plates before they go in,. scrubbing the saucepans the thing hasn't washed and cleaning the dishwasher, than washing dishes by hand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since marrying SWMBO, my TD doesn't get much use; she puts stuff out to dry. Well, fair enough if you can be arsed. I never could be.

And, en plus, stuff tumble-dried to the correct degree is much nicer to wear.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah bugger that too. I've almost never rinsed dishes before hand - what is the point, eh? The DW I had in the US, a GE model, was in the house when I bought it and worked fine the 11 years I lived there and likewise the Hotpoint I used for 15 years in my old house before moving here.

Now there's a Bosch here which works well enough. But I've never had one block or break down. Washing machines, yes, but not DW.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

Funny you should say that. I always think that stuff blown outside always smells better than tumbled or just aired indoors. Particularly towels.

Reply to
News

Yup, a personal observation that you then expressed your opinion on. Whilst you could also describe your observations, this isn't what you are doing. It isn't what you are doing because you are (as often the case), wrong (regarding the validity of your observation and subsequent opinion).

Further, any (blinkered / incomplete) observations you may personally make (and then express opinions on) wouldn't give you a complete understanding of all the variables that may apply to any other individual (there is actually a medical condition that makes people do that) ... for example, the quantity of washing they have to process each day, the facility for indoor / garden airing / drying, time, ease of applying the solutions available (arthritic fingers hanging / pegging) and the weather etc.

You also have to factor in the cost in time and energy taken by any ironing that may need to be done when clothes aren't tumble dried.

Oh, and for a tumble dryer to make any sense you also need 'a life'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok.

Not everyone has 'an outside' do they?

Or one of those ...

Or one of those ...

You are fortunate to have to choice, facilities, ability or interest. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite.

Same here. We bought our Zanussi years and years ago, is used at least every other day and so far it has just needed a bit of salt and the odd wipe down. Ok, we will scrape any food leftovers into the recycling bin (and there is rarely much of that and as you would anyway if washing by hand) and then they go straight in the DW so we can actually enjoy our lives, not be 'scullery slaves'. ;-)

Of course we know what will happen now Tim ... ;-(

Cheers. T i m

p.s. We gave Mum a dishwasher because we didn't like dishwashing when we went round there to eat (it's not something we enjoy (we don't do it at home etc) and often means one or more are then away from the rest of the group). She didn't use it so when we go there to eat we leave her to do the washing up. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Quite. In the same way we wouldn't take our clothes down to the rocks in the stream, light a fire to cook our dinner or walk over to the TV to change channels. ;-)

Correction. we like going camping (as a *change*) and find it 'fun' doing the washing up by hand, cooking outside, reading by candle light and not having a TV. A bit like caveman days. ;-)

Quite. She (typically) takes it out the TD, folds it up, puts it away, job done.

And of course clean and dry clothes are guaranteed, not like coming home to find it's rained (and we are in England after all) and the clothes are now wetter than before you put them out ... or the wind has sprung up, most are on the floor and dirtier than before you even put them in the washing machine! ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The last time ours went wrong (seized motor bearings) we actually looked around for a direct replacement but most of them would have been a faf (outlet pipes in the wrong place). We did consider a condensing version and it would have been easy to have the condensate drain away (as the TD in on a worktop over the WM in a utility area) but we were concerned about any excess water vapour (Victorian house, solid brick walls).

I managed to strip the motor bearings down and replace the bearings for a couple of quid and it should be good for another 5 years at least. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I think we have put a couple of drive belts on it. I've turned up an alloy replacement tensioner pulley that uses ball rather than plain bearings and replaced the main spigot (I was surprised you could get them as a replacement part) that supports the SS drum though the back bearing, and the bearing and holder itself (as it had worked its way though the back of the machine). All the parts still way short over the cost of a new machine and this one fits and works fine. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

I usually find that a DW gets pots far cleaner than I can by hand

Sometimes the difficult chunks of food are left but they are easy to scrape off *provided* that you do so immediately the DW cycle has finished and not left until the pot has dried for an hour.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Maybe you live in the 'country'. ;-)

If we hung anything outside here it would probably end up dirtier. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We have a condensing (washer) dryer, it doesn't vent any moisture into the house. what sort of condensing driers don't condense the moisture? Faulty ones?

Reply to
dennis

Ok. Do you monitor the humidity before / after OOI?

Marks for one it seems? The only other one I'm aware of is a mates brand new one (or his previous one for that matter) and the kitchen always feel 'humid' when they are running?

And those.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A condenser (TDWSF83BEP) for £99, or a vented (TVFS83CGP) for £59.

Humph. Well there it is. I just find wind-blown stuff to be a bit stiff, whereas the TD'ed stuff was always nice and fluffy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not my scene - but then I'm lazy. Thing is, most activities (or hobbies, lets say) involve a lot of faff related to the activity. As I've learned, you have to enjoy the faff (or most of it, anyway), other wise you won't enjoy the activity.

Ha - or frozen stiff as a board if put out in a breeze below 0C.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well (shhh!) more hygienically (IMO) at any rate. I still can't persuade SWMBO that a dish cloth is a bad thing to clean dishes with. Although to be fair she boils it in bleach regularly.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think I'm getting more that way mate ... or the fact that I'm probably not going to ever have enough time to do everything I should / want to. ;-(

Yup. I'd say the least of that of the things we do is the power kiting. They take up little room in the house, are light to carry and if you were going out for some fresh air anyway ... why not make it a bit more interesting. ;-)

Agreed. When we went motorcycle camping, we all enjoyed different bits of it to different degrees.

The Mrs loved the motorcycling, liked the camping and going about seeing new stuff.

Daughter (my pillion) was ok about the motorcycling (she would prefer to be in the car so she could draw etc) and loved the camping and sightseeing.

I was ok about the motorcycling (done it most my life) but loved the camping (both the kit and the change) and sightseeing.

I forgot about that one ... and 'missing' because someone else fancied taking them ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As the air flow inside the dryer is a closed loop I don't see any need to monitor it. There is no condensation in the room its in when its on.

Reply to
dennis