Hot water to the bath....?

I have a mains pressure tank that is capable of delivering somnething like 40 minuites of water.

Then use a bigger tank.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It makes no effing difference where teh tank is. What matters is the pressure - thats defined by the header tank or the mains pressure depending - and the bore of the pipe coming fromm it.

Th real adbvantage of a hopt 3water tank is it can deliver better peak flows of hot water than any combi can ever hope to achieve. Pumped up to mains pressure it can do it BLOODY quickly too.

I looked at the ghastliness and cost of a mains header tank, and pumps everywhere, and a ghastly combi boiler that could only run one shower barely at a time, and tehn looked at the cotst of a mains pressure tanked system - and it was a complete no brainer. The tank is out of the way in dead space in the loft,and holds enough water for two full to the overflow baths, or about 40 minutes ofshowering, or about 40 minutes of SWMBO leaving the hot kitchen tap running. :-)

IMHO the follwing staments are true about hot water systems.

(i) Unless you know you are in an area with an unrelaible manis supply, there is no exceuse not to get rd of header tanks and go mains pressure.

(ii) Unless you live in a house with only one bathroom and shower, there is no reason to waste good money on a crap combi boiler, unless you are so pushed for space there is simply nowhere to put a hot water tank.

(iii) In short, the default heating system that PERFORMS rather than is a poor compromise for budget operation, is to install a system boiler and a pressurised hot water tank, large bore pipework, and luxuriate in instant hot water, by the bath load, and simply never ever again have to 'wait for the tank to heat up' or 'wait till X has finished filling the bath before washing your hands' or 'wait till everyone else stops washing their hands so ou can have a shower that produces more than a thin trickle of lukewarm water'.

The ONLY combi system I have actually experienced that in any way matches what I have now, was in my sisters previous house in Germany, where the boiler occupied the space of a small car in the basement. That WAS capable of adequate peak outputs to drive two showers. And adequate heat output to cope with regular -20C winter temperatures too. My guess is somewhere in the 40-60KW output region.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds as if it uses more water and energy than having a bath!

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

It had a very powerful pump. It certainly used more water and power than a bath.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson