Hot water Tap...

Hi! My upstairs bathroom sink hot water tap has stopped working with n

water at all flowing. I don't think that its the water pressure as th other 3 taps in the bathroom are fine ...any ideas

-- MODERN LASS

Reply to
MODERN LASS

Depends on the make/quality of the tap, some have a washer mount that floats free in the bottom of the handle screw (the bit that turns the tap on and off), others have a washer mount that is captive in the bottom of the screw.

The free-floating ones rely on water pressure lifting the washer, the captive type lift the washer as you turn on the tap.

I'm guessing that you have a tap where the mount floats freely, and the washer has stuck to the seating, probably through being turned off rather tightly, so when you turn on the tap the washer mount doesn't lift into the bottom of the handle screw.

Two or three *gentle* taps - try the handle of a large screwdriver - on the side of the tap might be sufficient to release the washer, otherwise it's turn off the hot water and take the top off the tap. And if you need to go that far, it's worth changing the washer anyway, unless the tap is newly fitted.

Reply to
The Wanderer

About to get on the case - Thanks a million for the advice

-- MODERN LASS

Reply to
MODERN LASS

Does the tap handle still turn through the full amount? I've come across a couple of cases where the combination of a worn washer and excessive force when turning the tap off has forced the central spindle beyond the end of it's guide. The spindle had then rotated slightly and, being hexagonal, wouldn't go back up inside the matching guide. There was still enough flexibility and free play in the screw thread for the handle to turn through about one turn before things jammed up but not enough to lift the washer off the seat.

The cure was to remove the tap from it's base and then keep turning the tap handle clockwise beyond the normal off state to detach the washer and it's carrier completely then carefully align it's hexagon with the hole and screw it back in by turning the tap knob clockwise while firmly holding the washer carrier to stop it rotating. Best to fit a new washer while you're at it too.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Thanks for the advice. took the top off the tap and before anything

filled it with limescale remover...24 hours later - running water

-- MODERN LASS

Reply to
MODERN LASS